Where to migrate if Neobook is finished?

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

UltraVox

Re: Where to migrate if Neobook is finished?

Post by UltraVox »

For Dave and all NeoBookers.

I am willing to pay up to 200 euros for a update of NeoBook, it is not so much for new features, but especially for it to continue to exist.

I have invested a lot of time (years) and also a lot of money in the plugin's. All my programs are built with NB. I looked at the other programs you listed. the closest seems to be "AutoPlay Media Studio 8". But the forum is inactive (or almost) and the plugin's proposed are not numerous. No, I can not bring myself to leave NB. I would prefer that we develop a rescue plan. Something that would help Dave to continue.

Dave, maybe we have to share the tasks with other developers who would like to continue with NB ? All these years of work must not sink into oblivion. You have to fight and, together with the other developers (those who want it), propose solutions and alternatives.

NB Power !!!
CN_Iceman

Post by CN_Iceman »

HPW wrote:Hello,

I can understand all concerns from the community.

For me, neobook is alive, as long it is the right tool to get the job done. And it still does it for me. :wink:
+1
NeoBook is alive!!!
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

Alive, yes. But for how long ?
The question I ask myself is this : What will happen to NeoBook apps for the next version of Microsoft Windows ?

If Dave can not work on an major update, the problems will become very serious.

It's not for nothing that some plugin developers have stopped developing for NB. And I am the first to regret it.
HPW

Post by HPW »

What will happen to NeoBook apps for the next version of Microsoft Windows ?
When you want to create the "Universal Apps" for the latest flavour of Windows, then neobook is not your tool. Use Visual Studio.
As Long you want to create Win32/X86 compatibel apps, neobook will work.
In the Windows S Version released by MS the Win32/X86 apps were not compatible. But Windows S was not a success.
In latest news about Windows on ARM was an info that it emulates X86 Software.
So who can tell what the ultimativ programming tool is? Web-Technology? Is MS setting the Standards?

As always: Use the right tool to get the job done.

Regards
Hans-Peter
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

I think a lot of people here are afraid NB will disappear. They are looking for an alternative to NB. They do not want to learn C++ or Delphi. They are looking for a Rapid Application Builder as NB, with a simple language and synthax. This is also my case, but I have a hard time leaving NB. All my apps are made with that. Going through Visual Studio or any other programming software will not solve this problem.

I am interested by the Smalltalk language. It's Object oriented. Synthaxe simple, powerful tool, Cross-Platform, but still not widespread.

Do you know ?
http://squeak.org
David de Argentina

Post by David de Argentina »

Very very very interesting project:

http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/

Pure Java. pure APK development.
Totally visual, another logic but easy to use.
0 lines of code, the ide does the job.
System grows via plugins, there are a lot of them...
I don't know if Apk's are portable to windows enviroment.

my 0.01
David de Argentina
krackerjaxz

Post by krackerjaxz »

From what I've read, the main issue with NeoBook seems to be the same problem of every other software that relies on a "pay only once" business model. It simply doesn't work in the long term. It sounds nice but the fact of the matter is the developer has to keep drumming up more business to get new customers to they can pay their bills. In my opinion, this takes away from development of the software project.

First and foremost, I'd recommend NeoBook changes their update business model. Next update Dave should come up with a yearly licensing fee. That way, those that want to keep the software they create up to date can do so by renewing their license each year.

As for cost or licenses, there are a number of options Dave could go with. I use another RAD software called Clickteam Fusion 2.5. They have a free and lower-level paid version. Both the free and lower-level paid version has a "Made with Fusion" type of marking. I've been using the Developer version of Multimedia Fusion 2.0 Dev, which doesn't have the watermarking on software created.

While I've created some pretty neat applications (i.e. not games) with Fusion 2.5 Dev, it's still lacking some features. I've created an encryption software that allows one to encrypt/decrypt text with 128-bit AES. Another app allows one to encode/decode text into/from Base64 and can also create an MD5 hash of the text. The third app allows you to loan an image and use the cursor to get the color values of it (RGB, Hex, and CMYK). You can also type one of those values (e.g. RGB) in and have it converted to any of the other color schemes. That app is currently in dev.

I have to say, though, the functions of NeoDB Pro definitely blow Fusion 2.5's DB functions out the water. My biggest issue with Fusion over the past several years I've used it has been their primary focus on game development. Expanding the functionality of Fusion via extensions for application development seems to escape them.

I love NeoBook and would gladly pay a yearly license renewal fee to keep it going. It would also be nice to see some more native (i.e. not third-party) addons. I don't mind third-party addons, I'm just very cautious. I don't mind paying for extended functionality via third-party addons, however, my fear is that the developer will decide they're not making enough money and abandon their addons.

As for NeoApp Builder, I personally think the project should be abandoned. Yes, it's a nice idea but I see it as trying to expand NeoSoftware into too many directions (i.e. too many irons in the fire). This is something I've seen with Clickteam. They have created export modules for Windows, Windows Universal App, HTML5, Flash, Android, and iOS. I see it as spreading their development resources too thin.

In that regard, I think NeoBook is excellent as a RAD tool for developing Windows executable software. While I would like to get my feet wet (one day) with mobile development, I'll probably just bite the bullet and learn Java for dev on Android. I used to want to create software across multiple platforms. After much thought I've realized that most of what I'm interested in is Windows-based software applications. Therefore, it's futile for me to try to spread my software across multiple platforms unless there's an actual demand for it.