A trend against Tabbed Browsing?

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

fkapnist

A trend against Tabbed Browsing?

Post by fkapnist »

I noticed that Reuters, Time, USA Today, etc. now force "auto-play" videos when a new page is loaded. That defeats the purpose of tabbed browsing. The webmasters apparently don't want users to load more than one of their site pages in tabs, because that will create a lot of noise and needless memory leaks. Webmasters should let the users decide to play or not.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: A trend against Tabbed Browsing?

Post by Neosoft Support »

Auto-play ads are particularly annoying - especially if they have sound! FireFox has a config setting that lets you turn off video auto-play. I'm not sure if other browsers have a similar option.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Re: A trend against Tabbed Browsing?

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:Auto-play ads are particularly annoying - especially if they have sound! FireFox has a config setting that lets you turn off video auto-play. I'm not sure if other browsers have a similar option.

Everyone was complaining about Flash and that HTML5 videos were better. But nobody was really using HTML5. Now that we see it on so many sites, it is evident that HTML5 videos will be just as troublesome. I cannot find a setting that turns off auto-play, and if you load 2 or 3 pages in tabs they will rattle away making a lot of noise. Of course this auto-play idea is for the ads which always play first.