Foreign language garbled text

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

fkapnist

Foreign language garbled text

Post by fkapnist »

Using Neobook to display the metadata title and description of pages in foreign languages such as Greek or Russian...

In picture 1, I have the correct text as it should appear.

In picture 2, I have the character codes.

In picture 3, I have garbled text with ?? marks.

I am not a programmer. But it seems to me that it is possible to display foreign languages, as picture 1 proves.

I think it is a matter of converting a text string to Unicode, ascii or Ansi before displaying it. But I haven't figured out yet how it should be done. Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be nice to see a plugin for this....

:oops:

I am afraid when users see garbled text they may think it is an error that could damage their system, and they will stop using the program...
It also looks pretty bad. (The Euro-zone has over a dozen languages.)
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: Foreign language garbled text

Post by Neosoft Support »

None of your pictures are displaying, but NeoBook objects cannot display most Asian and Middle Eastern characters. The exception is the WebBrowser object which should be able to display them under most circumstances.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:None of your pictures are displaying, but NeoBook objects cannot display most Asian and Middle Eastern characters. The exception is the WebBrowser object which should be able to display them under most circumstances.

This support forum has changed servers? My image size info says 0 but it is actually 53kb. http://verticalbrowser.com/ads/txt-forerign.jpg
I am also repeatedly thrown out of the forum and asked to login over and over again ...

--------------------

I have found that in certain cases Neobook objects can display foreign characters. That is what the picture is supposed to show....

As you said, one could simply replace a Neobook text object with a WebBrowser object. And a text input field could probably be replaced with a WebBrowser object in designmode... But the Title of the App is what troubles me (I want it to show the current web page like most browsers do, even if its in a foreign language) I'll keep trying for a solution...

:?:

fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

I made a PUB called "Foreign TXT Unicode Ascii and ANSI Test" to explore methods of converting and displaying languages.

http://www.verticalbrowser.com/zips/GARBLEDTEXT.ZIP

Why does the Neobook [CLIPBOARD] variable not contain exactly the same data as a "manual paste" from the clipboard? There are also some command line converters available for foreign languages, I will also look into them...
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Many programs will put different versions of content on the clipboard. For example, a word processor may put formatted and plain versions of the same text on the clipboard. When pasting into a different program, that program may choose the version of the clipboard content is understands and paste that.

NeoBook does not support Unicode, so it generally cannot reliably display Asian and Middle Eastern characters.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:Many programs will put different versions of content on the clipboard.

In that case the easiest solution would be to use a text form in a browser object to display foreign language Unicode. But that would not include Alerts and Messages. I wonder if there is a way to check if the text is garbled and automatically replace it with something else readable to display....
I tried this

Code: Select all

SearchStr "??" "text" "[result]" ""
but the garbled ?? marks are not recognized. What substring should it look for to detect garbled text?

If I can detect garbled text, I can also make a customized Alert or Message window with the correct Unicode text in a browser object.

:?:

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

I'm not sure if that would work. You'll have to experiment to find out.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:I'm not sure if that would work. You'll have to experiment to find out.

It could also depend on what language the user's Windows system is set to