Is the FTP as fast as Cpanel File Manager.

Questions about our File Management and Internet FTP plug-in
schmutly

Is the FTP as fast as Cpanel File Manager.

Post by schmutly »

Hello,
yes...i know its a bit of an odd question but if you upload large files via File Manager that's part of
your Cpanel (i have a WHM and many sites) its actually EASILY 20x faster.but certainly much faster then any
FTP program. I bought the FTP Plugin but not really used it much but wanted to know if it "could" be as fast
or do the servers using a 'shell' or some UNIX magic that makes it work the way it does?
I know Putty can upload fast as well..just wanting to know why it is so fast and if the plugin can match it :P
THx,
Rob

EDIt:
I asked a tech at my Webhost im using...they said:
Me-->Are you saying that Filezilla will give "SAME" upload speed?
--> Yes, you will get same speed for filezilla or CP file manager. I suggest you to use the filezilla application because most of customer go with this as it is best for uploading.
---------------
But of course..obviously I'd like to use THIS plugin and make my own CUSTOM version...Dave, do you think it would be faster? (no, not tried it yet..just thought
better from the Dev if its the case..)
THX
dpayer

Re: Is the FTP as fast as Cpanel File Manager.

Post by dpayer »

schmutly wrote:Hello,
yes...i know its a bit of an odd question but if you upload large files via File Manager that's part of
your Cpanel
THX
The restrictions on speed may be as a result of the server having limits on transfer rates for FTP traffic using port 23 (or the secure equivalent). Whereas pushing files by a browser via a php script may use port 80 on your side and who knows what on the server side.

I think your search for speed may not be easily answered without knowing the server configs.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

As dpayer said there are a lot of variables involved so it's difficult to say what method of uploading files would be faster. I prefer using FTP software because the process can be automated, while using something like CPanel cannot (requires login, navigation, etc.). I use a custom FTP program made with FM/FTP.
NeoSoft Support
schmutly

Post by schmutly »

Thanks both for the info. I might check with them about the port and some
other questions as well.
Thx.