Software Protection

Questions related to the distribution, marketing and selling of applications created with NeoBook. (Formally titled: "Making Money with NeoBook")

Moderator: Neosoft Support

cp4w

Software Protection

Post by cp4w »

I am looking for a method of software registration for my Neobook app.
I do not need a lot of fancy options like a try and buy, or time reated trials, just, that in the the install process of the Neobbok app,
the users would be prompted to enter a serial no that they received and it would be tranmitted to a server that would register the software along with some sort of a hardware configuration that would prevent the user of installing it on multiple machines.

I noticed that SoftwarePassport/Armadillo for Win32 is mentioned in the forums. Is this the way to go, would it work, or are there any other sugestions.

Thanks
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

The "Pro" version of SoftwarePassport/Armadillo can do most of those things. (I'm not sure about the web activation feature - which many users despise by the way.) My suggestion would be to download the trial version and experiment.

Unfortunately, there is no 100% effective software copy protection. If someone has the skill and motivation to steal your software, they will find a way to do it. Even SoftwarePassport/Armadillo has been hacked.
NeoSoft Support
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Sorry I missed your post, Steve. Sometimes the forum script shows unread posts, but sometimes not. In this case, not.

I use Armadillo for my programs, but I don't use the web activation feature. But having read the help file, it says it works in conjunction with Regnow by generating something that you send to regnow so they can sell and issue unlock codes for that program. Of course, you would have to pay regnow for the service.

I think this has been discussed before, but I don't care for any type of security that requires an internet connection. I have purchased a couple of programs that do this, and if I'm on the road with my laptop without an internet connection, I can't use the program. Makes it pretty much useless to me, especially when I really need to use it.

Anyway, something to consider.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com