NeoBook 5.6.2 Update Released

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

smartmedia

Post by smartmedia »

Wrangler wrote: Have your setup program install the fonts when the exe is installed. If the font shows fine on your machine, and not others, it is because the font needs to be installed. For whatever reason they don't show.
What is the purpose of adding the fonts inside the exe if i must install it in windows fonts folder...??? Are you kiding...??? Normally the app must work with the embedded fonts.
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

No. I'm not kidding. What I'm telling you is that MY apps work with the embedded font. Meaning it's not neobook that is causing it.

Look at the font itself, or the other PC configurations.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
smartmedia

Post by smartmedia »

Hi..

Well, let's say that i am the only weird here.
Download the example and check if the button and the text in the upper side of the screen is identical to the picture showed in the lower side of app.
The app has been compiled with the option (Include all fonts"
You can download it from here.
http://rapidshare.com/files/177941742/FontExample.exe
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

smartmedia:

a) In "Design Mode", when you do Book >>> File List ... , does it list your font in the resulting Popup Window ?

b) Try it with another font that also would not be installed on other people's computers ... preferably from a supplier other than the one for your problematic font ... may be there is problem deploying it and Windows just reverts to a font that is already available.

c) What is the Operating System that your friends are running on their computers ?
Horst Helfen

Post by Horst Helfen »

I downloaded your pub and the buttons look different.
Horst Helfen

Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.
smartmedia

Post by smartmedia »

Gaev wrote:smartmedia:

a) In "Design Mode", when you do Book >>> File List ... , does it list your font in the resulting Popup Window ?

b) Try it with another font that also would not be installed on other people's computers ... preferably from a supplier other than the one for your problematic font ... may be there is problem deploying it and Windows just reverts to a font that is already available.

c) What is the Operating System that your friends are running on their computers ?
a) The following are listed.
Fonts:
MS Sans Serif **
Segoe UI (seguibk.ttf)
Arial (C:\Program Files\Left 4 Dead\platform\vgui\fonts\arial.ttf)

Strange, he takes the arial from a game that is installed in my system... But the arial is not the problem.

b) Same result

c) The same as me. Windows XP Proffesional win SP3 and all updates.
smartmedia

Post by smartmedia »

Horst Helfen wrote:I downloaded your pub and the buttons look different.
Yes, there are different because is not working as expected.
Thank God that someone agrees.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

I downloaded your sample exe and tested it on three different PCs (XP, Vista and 2000). I made sure that none had the Segoe font installed. When the pub runs, two font files are extracted to the Windows temp folder. One is Arial and the other is Segoe UI. Below is what the running pub looks like:

Embedding and temporarily installing fonts on the target PC is quite simple. All NeoBook does is extract the font file to the PC's temporary folder and tell Windows that the font exists (via AddFontResource). It's literally two lines of code. Now, there are a handful of fonts that, for some reason, simply won't work this way. It could be a bug in Windows or it could be a licensing/copy protection issue with the font. Segoe UI does not appear to be one of the fonts with problems, although I'm not sure what Microsoft's licensing terms are for this font.

One thing you might check is the following registry section to see if there are any substitutions that might affect Segoe:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes
Arial (C:\Program Files\Left 4 Dead\platform\vgui\fonts\arial.ttf)

Strange, he takes the arial from a game that is installed in my system... But the arial is not the problem.
Thanks to the game, that's where Windows is looking for the Arial font. Not a problem unless you decide to delete the game. Check the following registry section on your PC to see what other fonts might be messed up:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
NeoSoft Support
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

smartmedia:

I Google'd Segoe UI (seguibk.ttf) ... and found that ...

a) It is one of the Vista Fonts (part of the Aero UI)

b) There appear to be several forum discussions about problems installing it ... as well as some legal issues
b) Try it with another font that also would not be installed on other people's computers ... preferably from a supplier other than the one for your problematic font ... may be there is problem deploying it and Windows just reverts to a font that is already available

b) Same result
What was this other font ? ... another forbidden Vista font ? ... or a normal redistributable font that is usable on XP ?

@Wrangler:

Perhaps you can create a sample exe with some fonts that would not normally be on other people's PCs ... and people could try it out ... if it works, then the problem is narrowed to the Vista font.