NeoBook 5.5.3 Update Released!

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

NeoBook 5.5.3 Update Released!

Post by Neosoft Support »

NeoSoft Corp. has released NeoBook version 5.5.3. Registered users of previous versions of NeoBook 5 can download a free update patch for version 5.5.3 from the following web site:

http://www.neosoftware.com/patch.html

Follow the instructions to download and apply the update patch.

This update contains the following:

Enhancements

- Added a command line compiler option. To use the command line compiler, start NeoBook with the /C switch followed by the full path and file name of the publication to compile. For example:

NeoBook.exe /C "C:\Program Files\NeoBook 5\My Pubs\Sample.pub"

The command line compiler will only accept one publication file at a time. The publication will be compiled using the publication's last saved compiler configuration. Make sure NeoBook is not already running before using the command line compile option. NeoBook will close after the compilation is complete.

- The folder selector used in NeoBook and the FolderBox action now includes a create folder button. (This option is only supported on Windows 2000 and higher.)

- Added support for optional NeoBook specific command line parameters to the Configure Tools option. In addition to normal command line options, you may incorporate special codes to represent the current publication file or the file associated with the currently selected object. See the updated v5.5.3 help file for details.

- The File List option now displays file names for True Type fonts.
Variables can now be hidden from the debugger by adding the special prefix "*/*" to the beginning of the variable’s name. This will be of primary use to plug-in developers who want to store private information in NeoBook variables. For example:

SetVar "[*/*SecretCode]" "I don’t want anyone to see this"

Fixes

- Included a patch to prevent the "Error while unpacking program, code LP5." problem that appeared when attempting to run NeoPBook on PCs with a utility called "Pest Patrol" installed. Evidently, a recent update to Pest Patrol, which is included with anti-virus software published by AOL and Computer Associates, contains a bug that interferes with the security software used to protect NeoBook. (A number of other software vendors also reported problems with Pest Patrol.) The company that makes NeoBook’s security software released an update to work around the Pest Patrol bug which was implemented in this update.

- The SendKeys action now works correctly under Windows 98. Other versions of Windows were not affected.

- The Compile screen no longer flags the publication as modified unless changes are made to the compiler options.

- Fixed a problem that caused scroll bars to appear when running a publication in full screen mode where the publication size and the screen resolution where the same.

- The CloseWindow action now works correctly with embedded files while running in test mode. Previously, this feature only worked with compiled publications.

- The registry save option (Book Properties > Window) will no longer modify the publication window’s width and height unless the "sizeable" option is enabled.

- And several other minor fixes.
Last edited by Neosoft Support on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoSoft Support
smartmedia

Post by smartmedia »

Hi...

One more time thanks again for that useful update...

Thanks
tjchan

Post by tjchan »

Thanks! Especially for fixing the shortcut textbox length!
Jay-Bird

Post by Jay-Bird »

Woot Woot! :D Thank you!
HPW

Post by HPW »

Several long standing wishes did come true!
Thank you very much for the command line compiler etc.!

:D

Later: Command line compiler works great!
Last edited by HPW on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Post by HPW »

See the updated v5.5.3 help file for details.
In the downloaded ZIP is a CHM from 12.07.2006 which seems not to be the new version?
Hans-Peter
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

I'm sorry, the link to the new help file was incorrect. It has been corrected.

http://www.neosoftware.com/patch.html
NeoSoft Support
datadon

Post by datadon »

Just out of curiosity, since it is not clear to me, what type of situation exist that one would need a command line compiler? When would I want to do such a thing and how is it useful?
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Don:
Just out of curiosity, since it is not clear to me, what type of situation exist that one would need a command line compiler? When would I want to do such a thing and how is it useful?
... I believe it was an outstanding request from Hans-Peter ... haven't tried it myself but this is just in time for something I am about to do ... i.e. customized .exe files from a (template-like) .pub ... the custom parameters can be in a .txt file that is defined as [Embedded] ... so a driver-program can then be setup to ...

- enter the variable information in the .txt file (could also use notepad.exe)
- copy the .txt into the pub folder
- Run the NeoBook compiler (as a command line)
- do whatever with the resulting customized .exe

... repeat as often as required !!! ... in other words, a software creation factory ... best part, the driver-program can/will also be an .exe created with NeoBook ... so we now have papa-NeoBook making designer baby-NeoBook's.
HPW

Post by HPW »

Don,

as Gaev pointed out some possibilitys there are lots others, in fact endless ones. I will used it on big newLISP projects which contain large amount of embedded lisp-files. After changing part of this files now a click on a BAT starts compiling/delivering. An automated toolchain with high productivity. Neobook works now as part of a chain with the Inno-Setup compiler.

Since the PUB-format is text-based you can also create them dynamicly on the fly and compile them in one rush. So you could imagine to compile changing media to customised apps.
Hans-Peter
Silas Underdog

Post by Silas Underdog »

Hey everbuddy

Is this really what were hoping for? To be able to let end users choose options and files, press a "Build" button and end up with our embedded template with their existing files and/or files created with our software, bound to a single exe would require Neobook files. If we are allowed, what would have to be embedded for distribution.
Or.... is this just for our use. If so, then I can't think of anything I would ever need it for.
I don't mind using Neobook's compiler. Man I hope it can be used as a end user's compiler. It shouldn't be hard to have user choose options and export it to pub lines.

I thank you
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Silas:
Is this really what were hoping for? To be able to let end users choose options and files, press a "Build" button and end up with our embedded template with their existing files and/or files created with our software
... no, this ability to compile from a command-line does NOT enable that ... it merely automates what would otherwise require you to do with a number of mouse-clicks ... start NeoBook, open your pub file, select Book>>>Compile etc.

For the kind of extension you are looking for ...

a) Your users would need to purchase NeoBook and install on their computer first

b) Your source (.pub) files would somehow need to be "protected from viewing by humans"

c) Would be better served by a design that combined your NeoBook compiled .exe with a control-file (e.g. .txt file with parameterX=valueY lines) ... and the .exe read all the variables/options from the .txt file ... this was possible even before this recent upgrade ... except for the fact that the .txt file could not be embedded (appended) into a NeoBook compiled .exe file ... so you end up with two files ... and but could use some kind of self-extracting zip program to give the appearance of a single .exe file.
HPW

Post by HPW »

Silas,

When you really want to give a end-user the possibility to create an apps based on your template, then you could think about installing neobook on a windows-based web-server and use some web frontend in HTML/PHP etc. and call the commandline-compile for an automated build on your server and deliver the custom apps then by mail/download. You will charge then the customer for your web-service.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Post by HPW »

Neobook 5.5.3 has a bug in Tools\Configure Tools\Add or Edit:

You can not get a = character into the Parameters entry field.
It gets not stored. I used the regedit to hack it in. Then it works.

Code: Select all

/M="C:\Programme\UltraEdit\OpenAndInsert.mac"
This is for calling Ultraedit with a start-macro.
Hans-Peter