Data on the Web and access to it

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

cp4w

Data on the Web and access to it

Post by cp4w »

I know that this is a broad question but i am looking for some direction.

I have data that my Pub accumulate and I would like to have it available on the web for my user's organization to query and report against.

So now in Neobook it is dbf. The question is how and what db should it be stored when on the web and how to get the data into the db and to access it via the web?

Thanks
Steven
dpayer

Re: Data on the Web and access to it

Post by dpayer »

shx wrote:I know that this is a broad question but i am looking for some direction.

I have data that my Pub accumulate and I would like to have it available on the web for my user's organization to query and report against.

So now in Neobook it is dbf. The question is how and what db should it be stored when on the web and how to get the data into the db and to access it via the web?

Thanks
Steven
It is possible to have your web provider (only if you are using a Windows based web server) to create an ODBC connection to the DB file. Then you could use asp or php or perl to interact with the database using forms to add to or update the data. You could make the database itself available for download by your users so they have the latest version of the database on their desktop for use in NB.

This would require some involvement of your provider. It is not very common to use DB files for databases. They are a dated type of technology. Still, it is possible.

David P.
beno

Post by beno »

Hi,

I'm a real newbie in this web-NBapps topic, but I will start a new project that is going to need some of this functionality.

My project is about creating and applying tests in schools.

I have been trying to figure out a NBDB program that run locally on end users machines and sends data to a web server database. This is, the NB program runs its own type of database and the web server it's own type too.

So this way we can have the best of each world.... :wink:

In this case of sending tests answers it is not necessary to send big amounts of data...

I have no experience with this but I'm thinking that it is going to be possible to create a php script that receives the data as variables and will feed this into a MySQL database on the server... so at the end all the analysis and report process will be done on the server...

Well, as I said this is just my imagination...

HTH,

beno
dpayer

Post by dpayer »

beno wrote:Hi,

I have been trying to figure out a NBDB program that run locally on end users machines and sends data to a web server database. This is, the NB program runs its own type of database and the web server it's own type too.
beno
This is very doable.

Clarify the capture of data in your NB program. At that point the data can be sent as a simple string or as a series of fields to a web based database.

You would then be "recording" the data in both places for future manipulation or utilization.

D
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Beno:
... take a look at the Help file section for the InternetPost command ... think of it as the equivalent of someone filling out a form on a web page ... only this someone is NeoBook ... using the values provided in this command as the content of the various fields.

On the server side, the script (php, asp, perl etc.) does not know/differentiate between how a form was filled ... the data it receives is "identical" ... so if you can have (write, beg, borrow, buy) a script that can accept data from a form and save it to a database (mySQL, SQLite etc.), the same script will interface with the data sent via the NeoBook command.

Of course, because of this indifference, you also have to ensure that your script only accepts data from the NeoBook script .. and not someone opening it in IE and filling out fake data.

One method would be to encode/encrypt the data you were sending ... and have the script decode/decrypt it.

Another could be to use some kind of "secret handshake" before sending this data ... i.e. Send an InternetPost to another script (e.g. PermissionToSendData.php) ... which would return a random number to you ... which your program would "use in some formula/equation" (like (Random * Random) - 432) ... and send the result with the real data ... PermissionToSendData.php would save the RandomNumber on the server and the script accepting the data (including the result of the formula) would perform the same calculation to ensure that it came from your program.
beno

Post by beno »

David, Gaev,

Thanks for your helpfull answers!!

Saludos,

beno