Access Violation error after modifying database

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Enigman

Access Violation error after modifying database

Post by Enigman »

Hello,

I am having a pretty pesky problem with my application that is using an Access database. The app has been in service for many many years and I update it frequently. Recently I have added some new functionality to output HTML reports on the data. These updates have required two of my tables to be modified by adding a new field in each table. As soon as I do that I get a series of access violation errors when I try to run the app in debugging mode. See the photo below. In the photo you can see the error and the debugging window shows the commands that generated the errors.

Oddly, the commands that create the errors are the two commands shown at the bottom of the debugger that have to do with grid behaviors for the "Vendors" table. The error fires once for the "dbSetColumnOrder" and it fires 13 more times for the "dbSetColumnWidths" command. Both of these commands are executed during app startup. One funny thing is that if I modify just the "Expenses" table and not the "Vendors" table, the errors still occur when only when defining the "Vendors" table grid instead of the "Expenses" grid.

Important to note ... the errors only happen in debug mode. When the app is compiled everything opens normally without errors.

I sometimes have luck stopping the errors by opening the database directly and running a compact and repair, but not always.

Any help solving this would be appreciated. It's kind of a drag to have to close 14 error pop-ups every time I want to test a change.

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: Access Violation error after modifying database

Post by Neosoft Support »

If the error only occurs in debug mode, then maybe the pub is opening a different version of the database file in test mode as opposed to compiled mode.
NeoSoft Support
Enigman

Post by Enigman »

Nope. There's only one database anywhere on disk. And it's not pulling from cache instead of disk or anything. The problem persists over many reboots now. Sometimes it will quit if open the database in Access and do a compress and then do a "Save database as" then exit Access and rename the copy as the original and remove the previous original. Doing that has reduced it down to ONE pop-up when starting in debug mode. It strikes me as a timing issue of some kind. Like I said, the command that sparks the error is not the part of the database I modified.
yanzco

Post by yanzco »

i had similar problems like this...
mine got fixed after i turned off microsoft windows defender security
- turned off real-time protection