NeoBook 5.8.6 Update Released

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

NeoBook 5.8.6 Update Released

Post by Neosoft Support »

NeoSoft Corp. has released NeoBook version 5.8.6. This update deals primarily with Windows 10 compatibility.

The version 5.8.6 upgrade patch is available in English, French and Spanish and can be downloaded from NeoSoft's website below:

http://www.neosoftware.com/patch.html#nbw5

Follow the instructions to download and apply the update patch.

This update contains the following:

 Made several modifications to the Web Browser object to correct compatibility issues with Windows 10. Problems were primarily caused by NeoBook incorrectly detecting the installed version of Internet Explorer due to changes in Windows 10. Also, removed the confusing “IE7 Compatibility Mode” option. The browser will now always attempt to use the installed version of IE.

 The [WindowsVer] global variable now returns the correct version numbers for Windows 8.1 and 10. (Note these are the internal version numbers assigned to each Windows version by Microsoft. For example: 5.1 for Windows XP, 6.0 for Vista, 6.1 for Windows 7, 6.2 for Windows 8, 6.3 for Windows 8.1 and 10 for Windows 10).

 Added [WindowsVerName] global variable which returns the published name of the installed version of Windows. For example: “Windows 10 Home”.
NeoSoft Support
Skywalker

Re: NeoBook 5.8.6 Update Released

Post by Skywalker »

Hi All!

After updating to 5.8.6 when I close out the application it continues to run in the background.

I must use Task Manager to close out NeoBook completely.

NOTE:

I tried the Update Patch and Full Install application with same result.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

That could be caused by a plug-in. Try removing your plug-ins, then shutdown and restart NeoBook. If the problem goes away, try adding plug-ins back one at a time until the problem reappears.

What version of Windows are you using?
NeoSoft Support
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

My OS:
100% working Win 7 Professional x64 (everything works as factory intended)
4.00 GB
Intel Core i3-3240
Nvidia Geforce 610
RealTek HD Audio

As for plugins I only use NeobooDBPro and NeobookDB

Removing them worked.

I will redo my system at the end of the month so for now I'll use 585b. I will then try 586 with plugins and see what happens.
I have to get this project done first. 585b is working fine for what I am doing at the moment.

Thanks for the advice.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Thanks for testing that. I'm not sure why the DBPro or DB plug-ins would cause that behavior. There were no changes made to NeoBook's plug-in interface in v5.8.6 so it's a bit of a mystery. Also, I'm not able to reproduce the problem here which makes finding the cause almost impossible.
NeoSoft Support
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Is it possible that it can have something to do with NBDBpro dbpPopupDateSelector Action?
The Action using in 5.8.5b would be the same as in 5.8.6.
It's the only (current) part of the plugin I am using so far.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Is it possible that it can have something to do with NBDBpro dbpPopupDateSelector Action?
I don't think so. The popup calendar wouldn't be called anywhere in NeoBook - only by the pub.

It's NeoBook itself that's not shutting down properly for you - not your publications. Right?
NeoSoft Support
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Does it also crash when opening one of the DBPro example pubs? Did you try re-installing the 2 database plugins to see which it is that's causing the problem? If it's NeoDB causing the problem, and not DBpro, you can live without NeoDB. DBPro is a must better choice for databases.

Also, and I know I'm reaching, but you might want to have windows scan your neobook disk for corrupted or cross-linked files. Use chkdsk and tell it to fix automatically. It will probably have to check it the next time you boot the machine. Cross-linked files can cause all kinds of weird things to happen.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

@Neosoft Support
It's NeoBook itself that's not shutting down properly.

@Wrangler
There's no problem using both with 5.8.5b. It only happens when I Update to 5.8.6.
Nothing Crashes. NeoBook itself stays running in the background after closing. I had 10 NeoBook.exe*32 processes frying my CPU.
I am using both DB's for various project... some pretty old (before I bought DBPro).

As soon as I finish this Automation Program I'll do my monthly system re-imaging and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks for all the attention. I truly appreciate it.

P.S. Dave, thanks for the calendar link!