Streaming and Progress bars

Questions about our File Management and Internet FTP plug-in
Chrispy

Streaming and Progress bars

Post by Chrispy »

Hey, just a few quick questions...

Is it possible to stream videos from your FTP server?

Also, I was wondering if there was anyway to make progress bars for FTP downloads inside Neobook. Any of the ones that were based on the progress of my download would start at 0 but then not do anything until the download was finished. Is there anyway to get a progress bar to move WHILE the file is downloading?

Thanks in advance!
dpayer

Re: Streaming and Progress bars

Post by dpayer »

Chrispy wrote:Hey, just a few quick questions...

Is it possible to stream videos from your FTP server?

Thanks in advance!
If your FTP server is an HTTP server as well, you can use a flash video player to provide the streaming. It is not a true streaming server then (less error controls, etc) but Flash does a pretty good job of buffering for common streaming needs. If you need a professional streaming service, I wouldn't rely on a simple website for that.

Here is one of the most popular Flash video players:
http://developer.longtailvideo.com/trac/

It will require converting your video to an FLV file to display. This is also only free for personal use. If you make money off the site you should buy a license for it.

If your FTP server is not an http (web) server, I don't see how you can do streaming. An ftp client typically has no way to recognize a file type, lauch a secondary app that then takes over the download and displays it properly as a web server does.

David P.
Last edited by dpayer on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

Also, I was wondering if there was anyway to make progress bars for FTP downloads inside Neobook. Any of the ones that were based on the progress of my download would start at 0 but then not do anything until the download was finished. Is there anyway to get a progress bar to move WHILE the file is downloading?
Take a look at the Special Subroutines section of the FM/FTP help file. Here you will find several subroutines (FMFTP_ProgressStart, FMFTP_ProgressUpdate, FMFTP_ProgressEnd) that can be used to create your own download progress bar.
NeoSoft Support
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

I don't currently have the FM/FTP plugin, I'm using rlFtp4w. Is there anyway to do the same thing with the plugin I'm using?
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

You will have to consult with the author of rlFtp4w.
NeoSoft Support
andybrock

Post by andybrock »

Chrispy wrote:I don't currently have the FM/FTP plugin, I'm using rlFtp4w. Is there anyway to do the same thing with the plugin I'm using?
Then buy it - you'll be glad you did 8)

Andy