Moderator: Neosoft Support

fieldhopper

neobook and wine

Post by fieldhopper »

How to run neobook under wine ??
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

Note: Wine is a Windows emulator (of sorts) for Linux.

I'm sorry, I have no idea whether NeoBook will run under Wine or not. According to the Wine website:

"Wine is still under development, and it is not yet suitable for general use."

If Wine is 100% Windows compatible then NeoBook will run. If it's not 100% compatible then it probably won't run. If you have problems running something under Wine, you will need to contact their technical support for assistance.
NeoSoft Support
Jay-Bird

Post by Jay-Bird »

....what the... I saw the thread title and brought cheese with me.

:shock:
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

I've done Neobook and wine. Works pretty good. But I wish there was a way to do it without getting a hangover. :o

Seriously, the best way to test if neobook will run under wine is to test it on the latest version. There are also other emulators out there that may work. If you DO find that it works, let the developers know, so they can add it to their compatibility list. Also, let US know. :)
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
domino

Post by domino »

I`ve just spent and idle hour or so testing a few of my simple NB apps in Wine (Ubuntu + Wine 1.0.1)

... and I have to say they've all worked perfectly well - the basic functions like file manipulation, renaming, writing to disk - image displays etc etc.

As always make sure paths to files and images etc are correct relative to Wines C:\ drive.

Will try a few more ...

Cheers
Dave

(No plans to try and run NB under Wine though - I have a low pain threshold and bruise easily)
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Thanks for the update, Dave. If you'd like (or have the time), try some of my trial versions on my site (url in signature). RV Companion and Your Birthday news are two that use databases and will print. They also use armadillo, which I'm curious if will cause any problems.

Thanks. :)
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
domino

Post by domino »

OK Wrangler - I`ll give them a go and report back.

(one question though what's RV?)

Cheers
Dave
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

RV stands for recreational vehicle, like a travel trailer or motorhome. What do they call them over there?
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
domino

Post by domino »

Hotels
kpmcginley

Post by kpmcginley »

LOL - good one, domino.

Kevin McGinley
dpayer

Post by dpayer »

Wrangler wrote:Thanks for the update, Dave. If you'd like (or have the time), try some of my trial versions on my site (url in signature). RV Companion and Your Birthday news are two that use databases and will print. They also use armadillo, which I'm curious if will cause any problems.

Thanks. :)
I think you will have an issue using MS databases as I don't know if MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) would be included in a standard Wine install. UPDATE: I did a search of their site and some people did get MDAC to install and work inside of Wine.

http://www.winehq.org/search?cx=partner ... F-8&q=mdac

This sounds PROMISING! If these things could be automated, it offers a new market for things.

David P
domino

Post by domino »

David
This sounds PROMISING! If these things could be automated, it offers a new market for things.
Yes.. In fact I PM'd Wrangler with some more specifics on his app...

But I have another application running normally which I believe does use MDAC or similar - will need to check to be sure though...

Window focus is a recurrent problem though - not sure why.

Lets keep this thread running though - there's a lot of "non Linux" people buying NetBooks now with a Linux OS.
beno

Post by beno »

Hi,

I am playing with Ubuntu 9.10 and wine 1.1.40

I installed NeoBook 5.5.4 with no problems. But when I try to run it a error window pops:

"For security purposes, this program will not run while system debuggers are active. Please remove or disable the system debugger before trying to run this program again"

It looks like this message comes from NB not wine.

Any idea to make this run under wine?

Saludos,

beno
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

It sounds like it IS coming from the security wrapper around the neobook.exe. I know it's a dumb question, but could there be a system debugger running in the background? Or maybe Ubuntu debugs itself and the security is picking up on that. OR I guess maybe Wine is misenterpeting something else as a debugger running in linux. The security I use will throw this error if you are running, say, Softice in the background.

Don't be all that surprised if neobook won't run under wine. A lot of programs won't, and some that do, don't run well. It's not wine before it's time. :)
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
beno

Post by beno »

Hi,

No big problem, just playing...

I installed other win programs and running fine: a couple dictionaries, Opera and minor stuff.

I am completely sure not trying to create NB apps under wine.

Saludos,

beno