Still problems accessing the forum

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Cipolla

Still problems accessing the forum

Post by Cipolla »

In the last two weeks i could not or only very slow access the forum. I noticed, that when the page has loaded i have to log in two or three times until the forum shows my account as logged in.

Sometimes i get some errors when loading the page. Here is the last one:

This is really a little bit frustrating. I badly remeber the last crash where many needfull informations have been lost.
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

And I just got a similar error ... don't have a picture ... but I copied the text ...
Could not query forum moderator information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 2013 Lost connection to MySQL server during query

SELECT aa.forum_id, u.user_id, u.username FROM phpbb_auth_access aa, phpbb_user_group ug, phpbb_groups g, phpbb_users u WHERE aa.auth_mod = 1 AND g.group_single_user = 1 AND ug.group_id = aa.group_id AND g.group_id = aa.group_id AND u.user_id = ug.user_id GROUP BY u.user_id, u.username, aa.forum_id ORDER BY aa.forum_id, u.user_id

Line : 230
File : index.php
... hope it helps to find the culprit
dpayer

Post by dpayer »

Gaev wrote:And I just got a similar error ... don't have a picture ... but I copied the text ...
Could not query forum moderator information

... hope it helps to find the culprit
I venture that the server this is on (shared hosting if I am not mistaken - when I ping the domain name and then trace to that IP, I get ip38-113-1-181.yourhostingaccount.com [38.113.1.181]) is a bit busy.

It is not uncommon that one site on a server can overwhelm a database server. This of course could cause complications for the other site's owners.

I might suggest to Dave or whoever officiates over the site to go into your control panel and backup your MySQL database for safekeeping so we have a snapshot in time for this forum. It would be sad to lose the institutional knowledge here or have everyone (once again) reduced to the username of "unknown".

David P.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

I'm sorry some of you are having trouble accessing the forum. It appears to be working fine now, so perhaps whatever was causing the problem has been resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience.
NeoSoft Support
dpayer

Post by dpayer »

Neosoft Support wrote:I'm sorry some of you are having trouble accessing the forum. It appears to be working fine now, so perhaps whatever was causing the problem has been resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Dave,

You may still want to log into your control panel and backup the database. You should have a direct way to do this or it could be done via PHPMyAdmin

David P.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Yes, regular backups are a good idea. The forum software, PhpBB, includes a backup command, but unfortunately it has never ever, ever, ever worked. PHPMyAdmin only works when you backup each database table inidividually which is slow and time consuming.
NeoSoft Support
dpayer

Post by dpayer »

Neosoft Support wrote:Yes, regular backups are a good idea. The forum software, PhpBB, includes a backup command, but unfortunately it has never ever, ever, ever worked. PHPMyAdmin only works when you backup each database table inidividually which is slow and time consuming.
A friend of mine wrote the following utility:

http://www.worldcommunity.com/opensourc ... ackup.html

I believe you can backup your entire database with it. Give it a try.

David P.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Thanks David. I'll give it a try.
NeoSoft Support
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

PHPmyAdmin allows you to do what is called a database dump. First, select the database in the left column. Then, click on the Export tab. In the Export section, make sure all the tables are selected. Click the Select All button, or highlight them all with shift/left click. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Check the box Save As File. For compression, tick the Zip button. Leave everything else as is. Click the Go button. A save dialog will appear (may take a minute for large db). Name the file what you want and download to your hard drive.

To restore, drop the old database, if it exists, and create a new one with the same name. Click on the Import tab. Under Location of the text file, click Choose and migrate to the dump on your hard drive. Leave everything else as is. Click Go, and the dump will be imported.

Note that there is a 51mb limit to import. This could be changed, but I haven't done it. It maybe might be Maximal length of created query in the Data box on the Export screen. Haven't tried it.

I make regular backups of my dbs this way. The only problem could be the size of the forum db. Having been involved in transferring the db from the old forum, I recall it's quite large, 200mb or so. Maybe this limit is overcome with the utility David mentioned.

Added Later: I noticed that zipping the dump compresses it at a ratio of 10:1, and I think it was uploaded during the forum change uncompressed. So if David's utility doesn't work out, using PHPmyadmin should work, as a 200mb file should wind up as 20mb.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

PHPmyAdmin allows you to do what is called a database dump...
I've tried the PHPmyAdmin Export option and it doesn't work. The forum database is about 80MB.
NeoSoft Support