Embedded Flash Player on websites

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

fkapnist

Re: Embedded Flash Player on websites

Post by fkapnist »

Tony Kroos wrote:Just created test app in Visual Studio 2015 (Win8.1) with regular WebBrowser component and guess what? Got the same script errors and video loading forever.
Looks like it's server fault. Video player is overloaded with huge javascripts. Obviously, there are some incompatibilities between JS engine and IE activeX component (WebBrowser). Some JS actions cannot be performed without full browser environment.
Also, I've seen a lot of stupid js code trying to advert or track you, leading to broken code rules, this also may be the reason.

This is something Microsoft has to fix. I am surprised they don't care about client companies that rely on their webBrowser component. It has become an inferior product. I keep sending messages to them through the feedback menu in the Edge browser. I won't publish a sub-standard application (that is suicide for a new business). How many years will we have to wait to publish our webBrowser compilations?

:?:

Tony Kroos

Post by Tony Kroos »

Note that Neobook is a x32 application, so check if you have x32 Flash Plugin/ActiveX installed, especially if you're running on x64.
Tony Kroos

Post by Tony Kroos »

fkapnist wrote:This is something Microsoft has to fix.
This thread lasts for 7 years, but I'm afraid there's nothing to fix. It's a 3rd party code compatibility issues... ask aol to fix their terrible javascripts.
mishem

Post by mishem »

Maybe it's time to rewrite the components webBrowser, and not blame Microsoft?
In IE it works in the building no. It seems the reason is obvious?
Tony Kroos

Post by Tony Kroos »

Everything works as intended. Note that Microsoft WebBrowser component behaves like IE 7 by default (compatibility mode).
I checked this link http://features.aol.com/?icid=gnavbar_rootvideo_main5 and it works fine with IE 9+ only, so it's no wonder it doesn't work for you. Try to force WebBrowser to use latest IE available with registry settings.
Try an experiment: access the Website using Internet Explorer, then press <F12> to show Developer Tools, go to Emulation tab and change the Document Mode to “7”.

You just simulated the default behavior of WebBrowser control. Do you receive the same errors? Then consider the next aspects.

“7” is the default mode used by WebBrowser control. In order to increase the version and use the modern engine, add FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION values to the Registry:

http://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2011/ ... IE-Version
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

Such values can be added manually (using RegEdit tool) or programmatically before showing the first WebBrowser. Note that there are separate keys for 32- and 64-bit applications. Additionally, the name of added key should be “xxxx.vshost.exe” instead of “xxxx.exe” if the program is tested with Visual Studio.

(By the way, ‘window.attachEvent’ is described in documentation as unsupported. Probably it is re-defined by some JavaScript code).
If you want more control then this link is your friend.
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Tony Kroos wrote:
This thread lasts for 7 years, but I'm afraid there's nothing to fix. It's a 3rd party code compatibility issues... ask aol to fix their terrible javascripts.

WebView control vs. WebBrowser control:

They’re thinking of making the Edge-based WebView control available to Win32 apps. To clarify: The WebView control is not the same as the WebBrowser control. The former is for Store apps, while the latter is for Win32 applications, the “normal” Windows Desktop applications. Microsoft Support for IE10 and lower ends Jan 2016.
http://imacros.net/microsoft-edge-web-b ... extensions

Everything now is focused on mobile apps (HTML5) and the desktop and workstation are being ignored.... But you need a desktop computer or workstation to create a mobile app. A vicious circle...
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Tony Kroos wrote:Note that Neobook is a x32 application, so check if you have x32 Flash Plugin/ActiveX installed, especially if you're running on x64.

Where do you check? The Adobe download page for Flash doesn't let you pick between 32 or 64 bit.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... specs.html

:?:
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Tony Kroos wrote:
It's not just AOL. The BBC videos won't play either and even YouTube has some Flash issues with Win10. It makes you wonder why they are still using flv. video when they can be using mpeg4.... With the speed of today's computers even raw avi are better than flv that won't load....

fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

I uninstalled the Adobe Flash Player from my Win10 control panel programs.... I tried some flash player alternatives, but they don't work either.
Then I found that "Flash Player is integrated with Internet Explorer in Windows 8. You do not need to install Flash Player."

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb ... ows-8.html

So I guess there is nothing left to do except contact the unresponsive websites and tell them their video player does not work with the IE WebBrowser object. In fact that stand-alone IE11 browser doesn't work very well with Win10, especially if Neobook is running at the same time. It takes ages to load and often crashes...

:cry:

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

It does appear to be either a bug in IE Browser component, the Flash Player or both. Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything we can do to NeoBook to correct this. The IE component is widely used because there really isn't a viable alternative. Modern browsers are so complex that creating one from scratch would be an impossible task. The Chromium option from Google is 50-80MB and unstable (at least the versions I've looked at.) Even if it worked, the size alone makes it an unsuitable replacement.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:It does appear to be either a bug in IE Browser component, the Flash Player or both. Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything we can do to NeoBook to correct this. The IE component is widely used because there really isn't a viable alternative. Modern browsers are so complex that creating one from scratch would be an impossible task. The Chromium option from Google is 50-80MB and unstable (at least the versions I've looked at.) Even if it worked, the size alone makes it an unsuitable replacement.

The Chromium option from Google is 50-80MB and unstable (at least the versions I've looked at.) Even if it worked, the size alone makes it an unsuitable replacement.:

The Chromium plugin keeps crashing when I test it with Neobook.... "Project Chrome" is the code name for what has been touted as the biggest reorganization in IBM history. http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertcring ... l-problem/ Everyone today knows that the US government is being controlled by big corporations, so it is safe to assume that the NSA digital spy machine is run by... Google and its affiliate companies.... the ethics of a rat wrapped in sweet advertising lies.... Chromium is being forced onto every browser: Firefox switched to Chromium, so did Opera.... and now Edge.

:shock:

Tony Kroos

Post by Tony Kroos »

fkapnist wrote:The Chromium plugin keeps crashing when I test it with Neobook....
You can provide some feedback if you are interested, so it can be fixed. Note that CEF (chromium embedded framework) project is under active development, so plugin is waiting for a next stable CEF release (Chromium v45) and will be updated soon (hope some bugs will disappear).
Everyone today knows that the US government is being controlled by big corporations, so it is safe to assume that the NSA digital spy machine is run by... Google and its affiliate companies.... the ethics of a rat wrapped in sweet advertising lies.... Chromium is being forced onto every browser: Firefox switched to Chromium, so did Opera.... and now Edge.
CEF is a raw chromium engine itself and allows you to take full control of processing content and it's free of any stuff like this. And it's not related to Google. Anything else is added by developers of chromium-based apps (Google Chrome and so on).
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Tony Kroos wrote:
fkapnist wrote:The Chromium plugin keeps crashing when I test it with Neobook....
You can provide some feedback if you are interested, so it can be fixed. Note that CEF (chromium embedded framework) project is under active development, so plugin is waiting for a next stable CEF release (Chromium v45) and will be updated soon (hope some bugs will disappear).
Everyone today knows that the US government is being controlled by big corporations, so it is safe to assume that the NSA digital spy machine is run by... Google and its affiliate companies.... the ethics of a rat wrapped in sweet advertising lies.... Chromium is being forced onto every browser: Firefox switched to Chromium, so did Opera.... and now Edge.
CEF is a raw chromium engine itself and allows you to take full control of processing content and it's free of any stuff like this. And it's not related to Google. Anything else is added by developers of chromium-based apps (Google Chrome and so on).
The Chromium plugin for Neobook I saw is in Russian. It loads three tabs, but there is no "open in new tab" option for the right click menu. I would like to see a very simple PUB without any bells and whistles. It also conflicts with the NeobookDB plugin which I need in my project.

:!:

fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:It does appear to be either a bug in IE Browser component, the Flash Player or both. Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything we can do to NeoBook to correct this. The IE component is widely used because there really isn't a viable alternative. Modern browsers are so complex that creating one from scratch would be an impossible task. The Chromium option from Google is 50-80MB and unstable (at least the versions I've looked at.) Even if it worked, the size alone makes it an unsuitable replacement.

There is a freeware product called the Avant Browser (http://www.avantbrowser.com/) It lets you switch between Internet Explorer (Trident) and Firefox and Chrome (Webkit) rendering objects in the same browser window. Using Windows 10 in "IE Compatible" mode the AOL.com video page displays a forever wait icon and does not play videos. But in "IE11 Standards" mode, the AOL videos load and play. How did they do it? Avant Browser uses the IE WebBrowser object just like Neobook but has apparently found a work-around for the Flash Player problem...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant_Browser
https://www.facebook.com/Avant-Browser- ... /timeline/

:!: :?:

fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

IT WORKED - (THEN I REALLY LOST IT) :evil:

I went through my windows 10 registry and removed all references to my project....
from here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
and here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

The AOL.com flash video suddenly loaded and played !!

However, I then noticed that in the CURRENT_USER section the "11001" DWORD setting was back in the registry again. And the AOL.com videos would not load or play once more. What happened? I assumed I deleted all references in the registry but it looks like Neobook automatically puts that setting back again and removes it when the program closes. I cannot repeat what I did but I am pretty sure now the Win10 flash player problem is with the browser emulation in the registry. Perhaps 11001 is not the best DWORD for Windows 10 ? (Maybe it should not have a registry entry at all) Unfortunately I cannot remove or change it again in Windows 10... Did I run a second instance of my publication without paying attention? (and the second instance may have worked while overwriting the DWORD settings) I don't know darned it.... But it did work for once

:oops: