Embedded Flash Player on websites

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

fkapnist

Embedded Flash Player on websites

Post by fkapnist »

I cannot play Flash videos with Neobook on certain websites, although they will play ok in the Internet Explorer.
Very frustrating.... The entire AOL video section for example will not work at all. It just shows a turning wait icon...
http://features.aol.com/?icid=gnavbar_rootvideo_main5

Can anyone get it to work in their Neobook browser object? Is there a way to fix it or will we have to wait for Microsoft or Adobe to change their code?

:?:

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: Embedded Flash Player on websites

Post by Neosoft Support »

Of course, it works fine on older versions of Windows, but on Windows 10 I get the same eternal spinning wait icon. The browser still works and isn't locked up, but the Flash content refuses to play. At this point I don't know if it's a limitation of the Windows 10 edition of Microsoft's browser component or something NeoBook is or isn't doing. It could be a bug or a deliberate security "feature" of the MS browser component. I'll see what I can find out.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:Of course, it works fine on older versions of Windows, but on Windows 10 I get the same eternal spinning wait icon. The browser still works and isn't locked up, but the Flash content refuses to play. At this point I don't know if it's a limitation of the Windows 10 edition of Microsoft's browser component or something NeoBook is or isn't doing. It could be a bug or a deliberate security "feature" of the MS browser component. I'll see what I can find out.

AOL uses the embedded O2 Player (version 15.40.99) for Flash videos.
However, I also read that the O2 Player is specifically tailored for Android mobile devices (and may have issues with Windows 10)... Here is an interesting comment I found in a forum:

Hi all - I have just upgraded from a HTC One X to HTC One - M8, it's great except that I am not able to view any videos in Facebook ?? I have looked into this and apparently Adobe no longer supports Flash player on Android (not sure whether it's mobile devices as a whole or just Android). I googled it and followed other people's suggestions to download various apps (Flashfox, Realplayer cloud, Puffin) but none of them have worked. It's really frustrating having to fire up the laptop just to view a minute long video clip!!! Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution ??

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-De ... d-p/854640

https://www.google.gr/search?q=O2+Playe ... ash+Player

:!:
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:Of course, it works fine on older versions of Windows, but on Windows 10 I get the same eternal spinning wait icon. The browser still works and isn't locked up, but the Flash content refuses to play. At this point I don't know if it's a limitation of the Windows 10 edition of Microsoft's browser component or something NeoBook is or isn't doing. It could be a bug or a deliberate security "feature" of the MS browser component. I'll see what I can find out.

Unfortunately, I have also found that https://youtube.com (the most popular video site) also has some NB problems. When using the simple web browser sample from Neosoft (with no plugins), I found that Youtube works sometimes, but at other times the selected video will not play unless the page is refreshed. I wonder why? When watching a video if I click on the YouTube home page icon, it takes me to the home page but the video sound is still playing in the background! The Youtube playlist "next" arrow doesn't work either.... A Flash player non-compatibility with the Neobook web browser object?

:?:

Maybe it is unprofessional, but until something better comes along I made a temporary "patch" that detects if youtube.com is open and automatically refreshes the page so the video plays:

Code: Select all

:YouTube
SearchStr "youtube.com" "[TextEntry1]" "[Found]"
If "[Found]" "=" "0"
GotoLine "EndYouTube"
Else
GotoLine "DoPatch"
EndIf
:DoPatch
BrowserExecScript "WebBrowser1" "window.external.nbSetVar('URL',document.URL);" "JScript"
Delay "100"
If "[URL]" "<>" "[TextEntry1]"
Delay "100"
BrowserExecScript "WebBrowser1" "window.external.nbSetVar('TextEntry1',document.URL);" "JScript"
RefreshObject "WebBrowser1"
GotoLine "YouTube"
Else
Delay "100"
GotoLine "EndYouTube"
EndIf
:EndYouTube

If I open YouTube and it does play videos normally, when I go to another page, for example (https://www.youtube.com/yt/about/) and return to
to the YouTube home page, the videos won't load anymore. However, YouTube has added a new feature button at the bottom of its pages called "History." If I click on "Clear all Watch History" the selected video will finally load... but I have to keep doing this over and over (or refresh the browser) to change the video selection... Ugh

P.S. have you ever seen the video of Laurel and Hardy delivering a piano? just asking... lol

fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

We can also add the BBC Video section (http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/international) to the list of Flash players that don't work with NB web browser and Windows 10. All I get is an error message: "There was a problem initialising the player. Script access is denied in your browser." I suppose it means that JavaScript is being blocked, but not from my settings. I am afraid there is currently a global breakdown of Flash players all over the web. The Flash developers at Adobe are apparently sound asleep and couldn't care less....

:x

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

P.S. have you ever seen the video of Laurel and Hardy delivering a piano? just asking... lol
That was one of the best bits they ever did. I actually walked up those stairs down in L.A. I stood at the top looking down and I could almost see it play out in front of me. Classic Laurel & Hardy. :lol:
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Tony Kroos

Post by Tony Kroos »

Okay... fkapnist, Do you understand that WebBrowser object is a simple wrapper for IE set of libraries? They can provide a very basic core functions only. WebBrowser object is not a fully-functional browser, do not expect that everything will work just like in regular browser, which is a very complex product.
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Tony Kroos wrote:Okay... fkapnist, Do you understand that WebBrowser object is a simple wrapper for IE set of libraries? They can provide a very basic core functions only. WebBrowser object is not a fully-functional browser, do not expect that everything will work just like in regular browser, which is a very complex product.

Thanks for the advice Tony. I do understand... That is exactly why I raised the question in this forum. Since the IE WebBrowser object is not fully functional, does anyone know how to add the usual functions needed to simply play Flash videos in certain websites? Who should I ask for such assistance if not this forum Tony? If Microsoft or Adobe have better instructions on this subject I would appreciate it if someone could please point me to that info page. Thanks. (I thought this forum was also for reporting related bugs and fixes)...

FYI To be legit maybe it really should, but the sales page for Neobook makes no mention of "very basic core functions only" as you put it. (It makes no mention whatsoever of playing embedded flv videos within web pages). Here is what is on the sales page:

You can quickly create a professional looking interface that allows readers to... display Internet sites and more.

Display web sites and live Internet content inside your application.* * Requires Internet Explorer™. ** MP3 and MPEG support is provided via drivers and software installed by Windows. NeoBook does not include its own decoder or encoder. PCs running older versions of Windows may need to update to the latest version of Windows Media Player in order to play these formats. *** Some multimedia formats may require installation of special drivers.

Okay? So if "special drivers" are required for online flv video where are they? Notice that I am talking about the world's most popular video sites, not some obscure set of libraries.

:D

mishem

Post by mishem »

I think you need to be patient and wait for a serious upgrade NeoBook. As we have noticed, Windows 10 brought a lot of problems for all of us.
:(
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

mishem wrote:I think you need to be patient and wait for a serious upgrade NeoBook. As we have noticed, Windows 10 brought a lot of problems for all of us.
:(

Neobook already has some good plugins to extend FTP and Database functionality. But let's face it, the Internet's the thing today. We need a good Internet plugin for Neobook! Microsoft however is not exactly "open source" and they seem unwilling to share their browser secrets. Anyway, I hope I am not misunderstood. My purpose is not to complain. My purpose is to solve problems. For anyone who tells me to "get off it" my advice is to write smartphone code for finding the nearest restaurant... haha that should keep them busy and maybe creative.

JUST SO NOBODY'S FEELINGS ARE HURT, I can prove that this is not a problem with Neobook. It is a Windows WebBrowser Object screw-up. See for yourself. Get the Real Player (which also uses the IE browser object) and from File load the aol.com video section. There alas you will see no video, only the forever wait icon from hell... Real Player takes pride in being the 'best" media player.... except for... Yes, many, many, big companies are waiting for Microsoft to get its Win10 act together. It already lost almost 5 years in the mobile sector.

:lol:

mishem

Post by mishem »

Try to use a plug-in dmChromium
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

mishem wrote:Try to use a plug-in dmChromium
I tried it with Windows10. It is over 80MB in size. I disabled the NeobookDB plugin, and the dmChrome browser opened.

I went to http://features.aol.com/?icid=gnavbar_rootvideo_main5 and the videos play!

I might make use of the dmChrome plugin if Internet Explorer doesn't come out with a browser object upgrade

Here is a google translation:

dmChromium 1.7.196
Chromium browser engine for Neobook.

See. Built-in help (/Help/index.html)

What is it
- The use of the object instead of the engine Chromium WebBrowser (engine system with Internet Explorer)
- Library engine built into the plug-in, and are independent of the version of the system libraries (as is the case with the standard object of the browser)
- Thus, the content of the browser will display the same regardless of the version of IE in the system (as is the case with the standard object of the browser), and always will support HTML5 / CSS3.

What you need to run
- Windows XP / 7/8
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and above will have to check and update in Windows Update or download. Enabled by default, only eight (4.5) in the seven default version 3.5 (requires plugin)

For details, see the topic, comments and suggestions, you can unsubscribe there.

As a test
- Libraries are connected at the start page are disabled when you exit. This can be done by hand buttons ON / OFF.
- After a successful connection tyknut tab is to create a browser test page, continue as usual. You can poke the buttons.
- Can you work out how potestit events in routines
- Without connecting libraries to poke do not, an error will be

Known bugs
- Plug-in is not compatible with some plugins from NeoSoft (NeobookDB, NeobookDX), they fall down with an error at startup. I do not know what could be so, but the fact ... While the reasons for this are unknown.
- If you disable libraries at the same time and closes the program window itself.
- Can still something left, I do not remember. Report.

DOWNLOAD
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

JUST SO NOBODY'S FEELINGS ARE HURT, I can prove that this is not a problem with Neobook. It is a Windows WebBrowser Object screw-up. See for yourself. Get the Real Player (which also uses the IE browser object) and from File load the aol.com video section. There alas you will see no video, only the forever wait icon from hell... Real Player takes pride in being the 'best" media player.... except for... Yes, many, many, big companies are waiting for Microsoft to get its Win10 act together. It already lost almost 5 years in the mobile sector.
I've been working on this problem, but if it's truly a bug in Windows 10 then all we can do is wait for Microsoft/Adobe to fix it - assuming they care.
NeoSoft Support
mishem

Post by mishem »

I tried to run this site in another program designer. It also does not want the video played. But there appear warning from the page. Maybe this is what will help you?

Object does not support property or method "attachEvent"

And then there is "eternal" loading.
Tony Kroos

Post by Tony Kroos »

Just created test app in Visual Studio 2015 (Win8.1) with regular WebBrowser component and guess what? Got the same script errors and video loading forever.
Looks like it's server fault. Video player is overloaded with huge javascripts. Obviously, there are some incompatibilities between JS engine and IE activeX component (WebBrowser). Some JS actions cannot be performed without full browser environment.
Also, I've seen a lot of stupid js code trying to advert or track you, leading to broken code rules, this also may be the reason.