Saturation flaw

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

SysOp

Saturation flaw

Post by SysOp »

I think I found another bug...
When I adjust the saturation, some colours get messed up.
Below is an example JPEG compressed picture with a +25 saturation adjustment that exhibits the effect I am reffering to.
[picture file removed]
I hope this can be fixed.
Last edited by SysOp on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: Saturation flaw

Post by Neosoft Support »

It looks like what you're seeing is the distortion in the image caused by heavy JPEG compression. Photoshop's saturation effect will do the same thing - although at a higher setting due to differences in algorithms used by the two programs. If you try the same thing with a photograph not ruined by JPEG compression the results will be much better.
NeoSoft Support
SysOp

Post by SysOp »

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately you are wrong. Maybe I should not have mentioned it was a JPEG compressed picture. I just used the JPEG artifacts to exaggerate the effect. I can't reproduce the same effect by adjusting the saturation in any other application. If your Photoshop produces the same effect, it is also flawed.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

The distortion in the JPEG image does greatly exaggerate the effect. My copy of Photoshop is quite old (I think it came free with a scanner or something), but it produces results similar to NeoPaint.

The saturation algorithm used for NeoPaint 5 is actually part of a library that we licensed from another company. I did look at the source code and it's a very simple algorithm - maybe too simple. It looks like there may be some wraparound when colors are saturated beyond a certain point, which shouldn't happen. I will make a note to discuss this with the company that makes the library and see if there are any alternative methods we can use in the future.
NeoSoft Support