A NeoBook Plugin to make 3D Game Editor with NeoBook ?

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

UltraVox

A NeoBook Plugin to make 3D Game Editor with NeoBook ?

Post by UltraVox »

Hi all,

I present a 3D Engine whose technical characteristics are particularly interesting : https://castle-engine.sourceforge.io/index.php

I was wondering : would it be possible, in your opinion, to design with NeoBook, a 3D Level Editor that works with this 3D engine (or with any other 3D engine) ?

I have been looking for a solution to "link" a NeoBook application with a 3D Game Engine. The objective would be to propose a Level Game Editor make with NeoBook. If you know a method, I am very interested !

I can also pay a developer for a specific NeoBook Plugin for 3D, with a specific game engine. In short, I am looking for a SOLUTION.

Thank you for your opinion. It's always appreciated.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: A NeoBook Plugin to make 3D Game Editor with NeoBook ?

Post by Neosoft Support »

I don't know. It looks like it's an Object Pascal library. If it's compatible with Delphi, it might be possible to create a NeoBook plug-in.
NeoSoft Support
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

Here is the response from the developer of Castle Game Engine about compatibility with Delphi :
Not yet, but I plan to make it compatible with Delphi VERY soon, many people are asking for it :) The nearest release (hopefully within a week) 6.2.0 will bring various iOS and advanced shading (CommonSurfaceShader) improvements, and the next release 6.4.0 is all about adding Delphi compatibility :) I hope to have something alpha-ready working with Delphi within a month.
Great, it's a very good thing ! If a NB plugin developer wants to embark on this adventure, let him contact me. I've been waiting for this opportunity for years.

One of the latest 3D game engines compatible with Delphi was « TrueVision 3D ». But its development seems to have stopped in 2009 and it was not Open-Source : http://www.truevision3d.com/page-14-3d- ... -with-tv3d

But at the time, this 3D game engine gave good results.

Cheers,
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

Compatibility with Delphi (for information) :
https://castle-engine.sourceforge.io/wp ... +272699400
Tony Kroos

Post by Tony Kroos »

Honestly I doubt if anyone would make a plugin for this. I checked this out and understood that I have to be not just a regular plugin developer, but an experienced 3D/Game developer familiar with maps, textures, surfaces, shaders, shapes, collisions etc... to be able to develop something worth my time. Is there such neobook developers? I don't think so.
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

Peter and Garic, What do you think ?
HPW

Post by HPW »

Hello,

Not sure if you meant myself with 'Peter'.
As a neobook user I started pugin development when I needed extensions to neobook for my own neobook develoment.
Therefor Dave created the plugin interface and the SDK. Of course this has the price of learning/getting new tools.
And publishing my tools as Freeware plugins was my way of supporting the neobook product.
And Dave was always open to Support SDK-users. I learned a lot from him.

Since I have no special interest/needs in my development for a game engine, I will currently not spent my few resources for such a thing.
On the other side, that does not mean I have no interest in any kind of 3D-programming.
In my day Job I do programm AutoCAD 3D full time. I am interested in other 3D programming options.
So I had once a look at GLscene and will have a look at the Delphi Version of the Castle engine.
I also had a look at the freepascal template from Dec for freepascal-plugins.
But playing with some Technology does not mean to use it for a full-blown plugin projekt.
This is a complete different thing. So a matter of time and resources.
I still have a lot ideas/code snippets for other plugins on my nice-to-have wish list, but not the resources to get my hands on it.
Sad, but the reality. ;-(

Regards
Hans-Peter
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

It's already a good thing to check feasibility with GlScene and Castle Engine. And I understand that time is lacking. All new languages can use 3D, even a minimum. So why not NB...
HPW

Post by HPW »

All new languages can use 3D.....
Which new languages can do so? Very surprising !

Regards
Hans-Peter
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

They all do it, Peter. Even the most recent languages, derived from Basic, (like Linotte to code in French) work with 3D. Also you can search. You will find it hard to find a single language that does not know how to make a minimum of 3D. The oldest also : C, C#, Python, Ruby ; wherever I look, all work with 3D in one way or another. Maybe you should look at the open source HTML5 / WebGL engines ? There is one, in particular, that does a great job : https://threejs.org
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

To follow up on this initial Post.

The developer of "Castle Game Engine" has kept his promise. Its 3D Engine (Free and Open-Source) is now compatible with all Delphi platforms. This is an absolutely remarkable work that opens up many opportunities for plugins and apps. :

https://castle-engine.io/wp/2018/04/01/ ... y-partner/

Your opinion interests me.
HPW

Post by HPW »

Hello,

That it is now compatible, is a bit early.
https://castle-engine.io/supported_compilers.php
Coming soon is not now. And the other thing is that a Delphi >2009 with Support for generics is needed.
So an interesting news, but some efforts are needed to get such enviroment to work.
And as always a matter of resources to get into such complex and powerfull engine stuff.

Regards
Hans-Peter
UltraVox

Post by UltraVox »

In France, we have a saying that says, "Little by little, the bird is nesting. It takes time, and effort, for all things. And also personal and professional involvement. You already know it.

When I asked for this update from the developer of Castle Game Engine, the work was done after only a few months. It's very fast, is not it ? Many dialogues between him and me. And it continues today.