question for access filesize

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

yanzco

question for access filesize

Post by yanzco »

hello, i have multiple access database that will be opened at the same time..
currently i have 4.. reason: i had split some tables to other files for some reason...

so, my question is, if all of the database in the future gets to 2gb...
can i still open all of them?

or even if all 4 get to 1gb+... 1.2gb + 1.2gb + 1.2gb + 1.2gb

anyone tried them?..
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: question for access filesize

Post by Neosoft Support »

In theory that shouldn't be a problem, but opening large databases can be slow. If things get too slow, you could also try experimenting with a "server size" cursor. From the DBPro help file:

By default NeoBookDBPro uses something called a client-side cursor. Simply put, this is a method of accessing data that relies on the client application to handle most of the data storage and processing. Client-side processing is very flexible and generally provides the fastest performance for small to medium sized databases. For large databases, however, a client-side cursor can sometimes consume too many system resources resulting in poor performance. To compensate for this problem, you may want to use a server-side cursor when working with very large databases. In NeoBookDBPro you can switch to a server-side cursor by adding "CursorLocation=Server" to your connection string. For example:

dbpOpenDatabase "MyDB" "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=[PubDir]AddressBook.mdb;CursorLocation=Server"

With a client-side cursor (the default) all data is copied to the local machine and processed there. This provides access to features not normally supported by servers such as sorting and indexing. When using a SQL query, only the data returned is copied to the local machine. A server-side cursor doesn't provide as much flexibility, but is often more appropriate for large databases, and may be required when the size of a database exceeds the available memory and disk space available on a local machine.
NeoSoft Support