file sync?

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

yanzco

file sync?

Post by yanzco »

is it possible for neobook to have some file synced?
like some .txt files?

i mean, if in office A.. it views txtA.. and changes it..
then office B will know that txtA has been changed and will update its own copy of txtA..
vice versa..

any way i could do something like this?..
ideas?
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: file sync?

Post by Neosoft Support »

There isn't anything built into NeoBook that will do this. You might be able to write something on your own by examining the sizes and date/time stamps of different files and copying them to different locations when something changes. You can do this with the NeoBookFM/FTP plug-in: http://www.neosoftware.com/fmftp.html.
NeoSoft Support
yanzco

Post by yanzco »

out of curiosity i tried to use it with dropbox.. file auto sync.. small txt files..
i seem kinda got the results im after.. thou a bit slow.. but yeah.. i got 2 apps to comunicate thru dropbox file snc.. lucky* :shock:
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

yanzco:
out of curiosity i tried to use it with dropbox.. file auto sync..
Be extremely careful about using the auto-sync facilities of Dropbox (or similar cloud storage providers) ... you are vulnerable to viruses.

Hackers look (in the Windows Registry) for folders on your local disk that are designated for such activity ... and drop malicious files into them ... and let services like Dropbox do the "dirty deed of spreading the files to all other users/devices participating in this sync".

When you install Dropbox (or similar service) on your computer, you are basically telling the "anti-virus programs" to give it "a license to kill, err ... to export/import files".

Unfortunately, Dropbox (and others) do not have any kind of option to ONLY SYNC non-executable files.
yanzco

Post by yanzco »

oh i see.. thanks for the heads up Gaev.. :D
but as for now.. i dont have any alternatives..
so.. this is the risk im taking..
i hope i dont get hit..
thou i will always check the dropbox folder regularly to check for viruses and etc..
as i only needed 3 .txt files to autosync..
maybe i could set my antivir to keep a close eye on the dropbox folder.. :D
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

yanzco:
thou i will always check the dropbox folder regularly to check for viruses and etc..
as i only needed 3 .txt files to autosync..
maybe i could set my antivir to keep a close eye on the dropbox folder.
You could run a NeoBook Application to check the contents of the folder every minute or so.

And advise the users of all the connected machines to ...

a) never place anything besides these 3 text files in this folder

b) report any other files found in this folder

c) never directly run any files in this folder

This will help ... but still not fool proof.

Can you describe the information in these files ? ... how many lines of text ? ... how often are they updated / ... howmany lines are updated each time ?
yanzco

Post by yanzco »

its ok thou, coz ill be the only one who will be using the programs.. for my business.. :D
probably alot of lines.. would be updated whenever the other program will be used..
i made sure the .txt files are small.. thats why i splitted it to 3 txt files..
to split/minimize the usage/updating times whenever each file is read-ed/writ-ed..

it's almost real-time sync but i just placed in line 1 and 2, date and eact time the file was updated so whenever it was read, i know what time it was last updated..
and everytime the app reads the text.. it makes a copy of the original txt in dropbox and reads the copied file so whenever dropbox updates the txt file, it is not in used..

and i made the check internet connection if true a green light is showed..
it made me feel like its really sync-ing.. haha..