Neopaint stamps

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

BRobinsonS

Neopaint stamps

Post by BRobinsonS »

I thought I would create my own Neopaint stamps.
I started with doing an eye ball perhaps for creating my own collection of people characters.
Simple Circle (hollow) with smaller circle (solid fill) inside.
Both black and sized for example 64x64 pixels or smaller.
When I tried my new stamp in a new image, the Line of the outer circle was washed out i.e. not solid or black.
First time seemed like a dotted line instead of solid line.

The pupil of the eye seemed washed out too.

I made the outer circle wider with no better results.

What should I know or expect creating stamps?
Brian Robinson
'When all else fails, try again!'
www.ComputerSoftwareSystems.com
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

When I tried my new stamp in a new image, the Line of the outer circle was washed out i.e. not solid or black.
It sounds like you have the stamp antialias option turned on. This feature works with some types of stamps to smooth the edges, but with other stamps they end up looking washed out instead. Turning off the anitalias option (which can be found on the Option Panel) should sharpen the edges of your stamp.
What should I know or expect creating stamps?
The best looking stamps are 32-bit (16 million colors + alpha channel).

One trick that I've used is to start with a photograph. One with a plain white background is best. First convert the image to 32-bit. Then use one of the scissors tools to cut away the background. Finally, use the resize/resample option to shrink the image by at least 50%. (You can sharpen it a bit if needed.) This will create a nice smooth blended edge for your stamp.
NeoSoft Support
BRobinsonS

Post by BRobinsonS »

Thanks for the tips. Much better stamp image.
Note: saving the new stamp to the stamp folder doesn't show up in the list unless I select another stamp group and then go back.

Additionally, I seem to have discovered a 'bug' in Neopaint.

I have created a regular image on the screen (unsaved) with other items on the image. I used the Scissors to select part of the image and press Delete to remove that part of the screen and it doesn't . Then, I tried Scissors (cut) tool and same problem.

However if I move that part of the image selected and then hit delete key the moved part deletes, but the original part stays where it was. I thought maybe I had 2 copies on top of each other.

Hope this helps.
Brian Robinson
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

Note: saving the new stamp to the stamp folder doesn't show up in the list unless I select another stamp group and then go back.
Windows should take care of this automatically, but sometimes it make take a few seconds before the stamp pad is updated.

Additionally, I seem to have discovered a 'bug' in Neopaint.
I have created a regular image on the screen (unsaved) with other items on the image. I used the Scissors to select part of the image and press Delete to remove that part of the screen and it doesn't...
This is actually a feature that can be set from the option panel (shown below).

To restore the traditional cutout behavior select the "Remove Background under Cutout" option.
NeoSoft Support
BRobinsonS

Post by BRobinsonS »

To restore the traditional cutout behavior select the "Remove Background under Cutout" option.
I may have clicked 'leave background' because I didn't know what that options did.
Now I know. :D
Brian Robinson