NeoBook 5.6 Update Released

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

NeoBook 5.6 Update Released

Post by Neosoft Support »

NeoSoft Corp. has released NeoBook version 5.6.

If you registered NeoBook 5 before February 1st 2008 then you will need to purchase a new registration code in order to use version 5.6. If you purchased NeoBook 5 after February 1st 2008, then this upgrade is free. Registered users of NeoBook 5.0 through 5.5.4 can purchase a new registration code for $25.

While we have not charged for dot version upgrades in the past, software development and support are very labor intensive. In order to nurture future NeoBook development, we felt that a small upgrade fee was warranted. We apologize if this causes you any inconvenience.

To order your v5.6 upgrade please visit our online store:

http://www.neosoftware.com/order.html#upgrade

The version 5.6 upgrade patch can be downloaded from the following website:

http://www.neosoftware.com/patch.html

Follow the instructions to download and apply the update patch.

This update contains the following:

Enhancements

* Upgraded user interface. This includes changes to the program’s appearance as well as dozens of minor usability enhancements.

* Lines, ellipses, rounded rectangles, polygons are now anti-aliased. (Some users with very old computers may need to download GDI+ from Microsoft in order to take advantage of this feature.)

* Functions can now be written in VBScript and JScript in addition to NeoBook’s built-in scripting language. Scripts can read and write NeoBook variables similar to the way it’s done with the BrowserExecScript action. (A few examples are included in the Functions folder.)

* Added a word wrap option to the Action editor. (Right click editor window to activate.)

* Added a comment/uncomment option to the Action editor. (Select a block of code and right click editor window to activate.)

* Modified the MoveObject, MoveObjectAlongPath and GetObjectInfo actions so that object coordinates are relative to their parent objects. Previously, these actions required coordinates to be relative to the publication’s window, which made it virtually impossible to move objects on containers or custom windows.

* Added a sort option to the Goto Page dialog (activated with the F7 key) that allows pages to be sorted by title or page number.

* The StrReplace action has been rewritten resulting in significantly improved speed.

* The Balloon action now includes parameters for screen position and display options.

* Added a global variable called [HttpPort] that can be used to specify a custom port for HTTP actions (InternetGet, etc.).

* Debugger now shows long variables as tool tips.

* Right clicking on debugger’s variable list provides an option to copy contents to the clipboard.

* The Plug-In Installer now includes a move up/down option that can be used to alter the order that plug-ins appear in the Action Selector.

* Added an option to the plug-in SDK to notify plug-ins when the enabled state of host rectangle objects changes.

* Added option to limit the types of objects that appear in an object selector (nbInterface) to the plug-in SDK.

* Help files for installed Plug-Ins (those that have them) now appear in NeoBook’s help menu. (In order for this to work the help file should have the same base name as the plug-in’s nbp file.)

* And several other minor enhancements.

Fixes

* It’s now possible to draw polygon objects directly onto a container object.

* Corrected several redraw problems associated with resizing snapped objects at runtime.

* Corrected a problem that prevented full screen publications from running correctly under Vista in 32-bit color mode.

* Fixed several issues related to displaying custom windows after programmatically changing a publication’s window order state to “on-top”.

* Corrected several issues related to refreshing of media player objects.

* The function editor no longer adds an extra empty line when saving files.

* The FileSize action now works with files larger than 2GB.

* The FolderExists action no longer returns true when passed an empty folder name.

* Code inserted into the action editor via the “Insert Action” button can now be undone.

* And several other minor fixes.
NeoSoft Support
HPW

Post by HPW »

Hello Support,
* Added an option to the plug-in SDK to notify plug-ins when the enabled state of host rectangle objects changes.
I noticed that there is a new SDK dated from the 13 August.
But I can not find info about the above addition.
Will it be updated to reflect the latest release?
Hans-Peter
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

I noticed that there is a new SDK dated from the 13 August.
But I can not find info about the above addition.
Yes, a new plug-in SDK updated for version 5.6 can be downloaded using the following link:

http://www.neosoftware.com/software/nbwpluginsdk.zip

Information about enabled state of host rectangle objects can be found in the Custom Control Plug-Ins section under the discussion of the WMNotifyPlugIn event.
NeoSoft Support
luishp

Post by luishp »

I've just noticed that the logo has lost some transparency (look at the film strip) and get some pixelation.

Please tell me if you want some .png at different resolutions.
remlap

Post by remlap »

Dave,

Just purchaced the upgrade. There is a problem with the ordering process. When entering shipping details it forces you to input 'State'. Leaving it blank is not an option. No good for us dudes leaving outside the USA. I got through by inputing 'ny' :)
christian

Post by christian »

Hello,
perhaps it would be a good idea, to describe "What is new" in V.5.6 on the page
http://neosoftware.com/patch.html.
So people don't have to look at the forum, what are the "benefits" of the new version they have to pay for.
Thanks Christian
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

I've just noticed that the logo has lost some transparency (look at the film strip) and get some pixelation.
The logo was output with CorelDraw which isn't as good at creating PNG files as the software you're using. I have sent you an email about this.
Just purchased the upgrade. There is a problem with the ordering process. When entering shipping details it forces you to input 'State'. Leaving it blank is not an option. No good for us dudes leaving outside the USA. I got through by inputting 'ny'
For some reason that only happens with PayPal. It has something to do with interface between PayPal and the company that hosts our secure shopping cart. I'll see if it's something that can be fixed.
perhaps it would be a good idea, to describe "What is new" in V.5.6 on the page http://neosoftware.com/patch.html.
Good idea! Thank you.
NeoSoft Support
stevec

Upgrade question

Post by stevec »

Just a quick question; from the web-site:

IMPORTANT: If you registered NeoBook 5 before February 1st 2008 then you may need to purchase a new registration code in order to use version 5.6. Registered users of NeoBook 5.0 through 5.5.4 can purchase a new registration code for $25.

What is the requirements for not having to pay for the update?
Steve Christensen
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

What is the requirements for not having to pay for the update?
We didn't think it would be fair for someone who just purchased NeoBook weeks or days before the release of the upgrade to have to pay again. So anyone who purchased NeoBook 5 between February 1st 2008 and August 19th 2008 can download NeoBook 5.6 and use their existing registration code. The software will automatically determine if you need to purchase the upgrade or not.

If you purchased NeoBook before February 1st 2008 then you need to purchase the upgrade. Of course, you can certainly continue using your old version of NeoBook if you prefer.
NeoSoft Support
stevec

Thanks

Post by stevec »

:D :D :D
Thanks for the reply, and more that's what I was hoping the answer would be.

I'll have to save a few $ for the upgrade. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks;
Steve Christensen
rcohen

Post by rcohen »

Thanks Dave. I'm happy to pay for all of your future upgrades. Your tech support services alone are worth far more than your upgrade fee!

Looking forward to getting my SN....

Thanks again !!

rcohen
Odd

Spanish expressions in English version of the upgraded exe

Post by Odd »

I've downloaded and installed the English upgrade executable, but several items in the Neobook 5.6 GUI appears in Spanish.

New page = Nueva página
Polygon = Poligono
Rectangle = Rectangulo
Button = Boton
etc

http://www.e-forlaget.net/neo/nbk56spansk.png

It is not consistent, but appear in the object list, the add pages dialog, the tray menu options, the language list etc.

I would prefer an all English version. My Spanish isn't really that good...
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Odalis ... er, I mean Odd:

With the fast growing Hispanic population in the United States, perhaps Dave is just preparing for the inevitable Spanglish version ... "nuevoLibro" :wink:
sombra

Post by sombra »

Hello,
Neobook.exe remain in memory when two publications are opened at same time and later it is closed.

How reproduce it?
  1. Be sure that you have associated "PUB" extension to neobook.
  2. Open neobook (or open a publication with double click from Explorer).
  3. Open another publication doing double cick in a PUB file.
  4. Close Neobook.
  5. Launch task manager an go to process tab.
Neobook remain in memory, and high level of CPU is used by neobook.exe.
Tested with neobook 5.6 under Win XP SP3 and Windows Vista.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
Odd

Post by Odd »

Hehe, perhaps that's the logic behind the mystery, Gaev... ;-}

Another thing that I'm missing a solution for, is my bug report on July 15, 11:51pm in the second beta thread (http://www.neosoftware.com/forum/viewto ... &&start=45):

Pub made with registered version 5.6 on Vista 32-bit system (home premium) won't run at all in the debug modes (F8, F9, F10). But in the released version they can be compiled and run as such.

The error message I receive when trying to run the pubs with F8, F9 and F10, is (translated): "NeoBook_v5_Test_Publication!!! has stopped working. A problem made the program stop functioning as it should. The program will be closed, and you will be notified if a solution is available. (Close button)". Windows doesn't find any solution...

Funny, but now the HangMan sample pub (5.6 distro) can be run. So how and why doesn't my own run in the debug modes? They are all located in my Documents subfolders which shouldn't cause any privilege problems...