NeoBook 5.6 Update Released

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

sombra

minor visual issue

Post by sombra »

This is a minor visual problem (I think) for draw the corners in ComboBox objects. On Windows Vista with default theme, the corners are not draw rounded at all.
This happens in neobook 5.6 final, but not happens in nebook 5.6 beta 3 where look as is expected.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

I've downloaded and installed the English upgrade executable, but several items in the Neobook 5.6 GUI appears in Spanish.
It looks like the items appearing in Spanish are limited to the page titles and default object names. This would happen if you opened a publication created with the Spanish version of NeoBook. Try creating a new blank publication and try adding some pages and objects. They should appear with English names.
Neobook.exe remain in memory when two publications are opened at same time and later it is closed...
Thank you for the report. I will add this to the list of things to correct in the next update. (In spite of beta testing for more than a month apparently there are still a few minor bugs to be corrected. :( )
The error message I receive when trying to run the pubs with F8, F9 and F10, is (translated): "NeoBook_v5_Test_Publication!!! has stopped working...
I can't tell for sure from your description, but it sounds like this problem is limited to a single publication. This could be caused by a plug-in or a bug in 5.6. Without seeing the pub it's impossible to tell. Can you send us a copy of your publication source files?
This is a minor visual problem (I think) for draw the corners in ComboBox objects. On Windows Vista with default theme, the corners are not draw rounded at all.
Make sure you have the line style for the combo box set to "none".
NeoSoft Support
phunk

Post by phunk »

in my humble opinion i REALLY think that the vista 32bit problem should be a hotfix without the need to pay for an upgrade. i mean fullscreen is really crucial for kiosk apps!

while i do welcome the idea to pay for upgrades, i think that this fix, as well as maybe all harder bugs, really need to be fixed without payments!

maybe consider this.

besides, as always, thanx for all your work on this wonderful prog!
oliver
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

in my humble opinion i REALLY think that the vista 32bit problem should be a hotfix without the need to pay for an upgrade. i mean fullscreen is really crucial for kiosk apps!
Unfortunately, we can't easily separate this one bug fix from the rest of the upgrade. As I stated in an earlier post, if you feel that the upgrade fee is unfair or if you cannot afford it, please contact us by private email and we will work something out.
NeoSoft Support
Odd

Post by Odd »

Neosoft Support wrote:
The error message I receive when trying to run the pubs with F8, F9 and F10, is (translated): "NeoBook_v5_Test_Publication!!! has stopped working...
I can't tell for sure from your description, but it sounds like this problem is limited to a single publication. This could be caused by a plug-in or a bug in 5.6. Without seeing the pub it's impossible to tell. Can you send us a copy of your publication source files?
Of course I will, but this may take a week or so (heading for a long due vacation 8) ). The error is consistent will all my pubs created on my XP PC and transferred to my Vista PC. Perhaps it isn't a problem with "native" Vista pubs? I'll check it out, and check if a plug-in causes the error.

About my other problem; I don't have a spanish version of NeoBook, so it is unlikely the case. But if it disappears after I've used the controls in my English version, it is OK.
phunk

Post by phunk »

Neosoft Support wrote:
Unfortunately, we can't easily separate this one bug fix from the rest of the upgrade. As I stated in an earlier post, if you feel that the upgrade fee is unfair or if you cannot afford it, please contact us by private email and we will work something out.
no no, it's not about the money, just wanted to say that i think this policy may be a bit "dangerous" as it's core functionality...
oliver
rcohen

Post by rcohen »

phunk wrote:no no, it's not about the money, just wanted to say that i think this policy may be a bit "dangerous" as it's core functionality...
IMHO, I think the interface upgrade alone is worth the fee, and I know you're not talking about the money end of things.

NeoSoft has always gone "above and beyond" on every level, from tech support to meeting user requests on features and functions. And to date, minor updates have been offered for FREE.

I know that many NB users are NOT professional users, but many of us ARE. The product is SURELY professional. The reason we have non professional users is because NB is very affordable. There is no question in my mind that if Dave WANTED to, he could stop the current NeoBook production tomorrow, change the name of the next version and market it at twice the price or more and GET that price. And I don't know what others are charging for their custom work, but I EASILY earn $500 on every custom job I do.... meaning I can pay for software in the $400 price range with ONE JOB. And if you're not a professional user, then chances are that you don't NEED the upgrade.

With all that NeoBook offers my company, I am happy to pay $25 for each and every upgrade Dave brings to the table. Like I said in an earlier post, even NeoSoft tech support is worth more than this. Everyone's gotta eat!

NeoBook is the number one software on MY computer and it offers me a value/cost ratio that is off the charts.... far beyond ANY of my other productivity tools. For the record, I had never coded software before becoming a NeoBook user. And looking back at the past four years and all the software I've created with it, I can't imagine that I've done this on an investment that is less than $500 (plugins included) NeoBook has totally changed what I do for a living!

And I'm not "jumping you" phunk, I'm merely showing the other side of the coin. I would personally like to see Dave continue to put the energy into future updates as he has past ones. My business depends on it.

rcohen
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

no no, it's not about the money, just wanted to say that i think this policy may be a bit "dangerous" as it's core functionality...
I understand. We had intended the 5.6 update to be primarily an interface makeover. Potential users often judge new software initially on its appearance, so we felt that a makeover was necessary to keep those users interested. The update evolved and we ended up adding more than just a new interface.

The vista 32bit full-screen issue wasn't reported until we were almost finished with version 5.6, so it wasn't something we had planned to address or even knew about. Of course, once we found out about the problem, we included a fix in version 5.6.
NeoSoft Support
phunk

Post by phunk »

thanx for your replies. i earn money with neobook too, quite some actually ;)

i was really not talking about me or the pricetag; just talking as someone (owning an advertisment agency, so guess i know the other side of the coin) who is used to think in marketing and selling terms.
this is the part of your humble phunk that said "oops, careful" about the bugfix thing - not the rest of course!

hope you get me right.
oliver
tjchan

Post by tjchan »

I'd like to purchase, but I'd really like a copy of the 5.6 manual (printed) too...is this possible and how much more would that be?
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

I'd like to purchase, but I'd really like a copy of the 5.6 manual (printed) too...
The printed user's manual has not been updated. The most up to date information can be found in NeoBook's help file.
NeoSoft Support
cp4w

Post by cp4w »

What do you think about a PDF version of the updated book (not printed)?

Licia Priami
HPW

Post by HPW »

A minor cosmetic issue shows up when I choose form the main menu book/subroutines/mySubroutine-name:

Then the action editor open and shows the content of the subroutine section.
But when the action dialog is not set to a certain wide the register line at the bottom does not scroll. I see not the marked register 'Subroutines'.

Not a problem when the editor is wide enough.
Hans-Peter
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

What do you think about a PDF version of the updated book (not printed)?
That's an option we might offer in the future, but for now the help file is where you can find the most up-to-date information.
A minor cosmetic issue shows up when I choose form the main menu book/subroutines/mySubroutine-name...
OK, I'll see if this can be fixed.
NeoSoft Support
DELCO

No registration code

Post by DELCO »

Hello Dave,
I just paid the fee this morning, but not receive my new code.
Normal delay ?
Regards,