NeoBook 5.6 Beta Released!

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

NeoBook 5.6 Beta Released!

Post by Neosoft Support »

NOTE: This beta test is now closed. The completed version 5.6 can be downloaded from:

http://www.neosoftware.com/nbw.html

Original post:

NeoBook users who would like to help test the next NeoBook update are invited to download the version 5.6 Beta.

Note: An updated help file will be available next week.

This update includes the following:

Enhancements

* Upgraded user interface. This includes changes to the program’s appearance as well as dozens of minor usability enhancements.

* Lines, ellipses, rounded rectangles, polygons are now anti-aliased. (Some users with very old computers may need to download GDI+ from Microsoft in order to take advantage of this feature.)

* Functions can now be written in VBScript and JScript in addition to NeoBook’s built-in scripting language. Scripts can read and write NeoBook variables similar to the way it’s done with the BrowserExecScript action. (A few examples are included in the Functions folder.)

* Added a word wrap option to the Action editor. (Right click editor window to activate.)

* Added a comment/uncomment option to the Action editor. (Select a block of code and right click editor window to activate.)

* Modified the MoveObject, MoveObjectAlongPath and GetObjectInfo actions so that object coordinates are relative to their parent objects. Previously, these actions required coordinates to be relative to the publication’s window, which made it virtually impossible to move objects on containers or custom windows.

* Added a sort option to the Goto Page dialog (activated with the F7 key) that allows pages to be sorted by title or page number.

* The StrReplace action has been rewritten resulting in significantly improved speed.

* The Balloon action now includes parameters for screen position and display options.

* Added a global variable called [HttpPort] that can be used to specify a custom port for HTTP actions (InternetGet, etc.).

* Debugger now shows long variables as tool tips.

* Right clicking on debugger’s variable list provides an option to copy contents to the clipboard.

* The Plug-In Installer now includes a move up/down option that can be used to alter the order that plug-ins appear in the Action Selector.

* Added an option to the plug-in SDK to notify plug-ins when the enabled state of host rectangle objects changes.

* Added option to limit the types of objects that appear in an object selector (nbInterface) to the plug-in SDK.

* Help files for installed Plug-Ins (those that have them) now appear in NeoBook’s help menu. (In order for this to work the help file should have the same base name as the plug-in’s nbp file.)

* And several other minor enhancements.

Fixes

* It’s now possible to draw polygon objects directly onto a container object.

* Corrected several redraw problems associated with resizing snapped objects at runtime.

* Corrected a problem that prevented full screen publications from running correctly under Vista in 32-bit color mode.

* Fixed several issues related to displaying custom windows after programmatically changing a publication’s window order state to “on-top”.

* Corrected several issues related to refreshing of media player objects.

* The function editor no longer adds an extra empty line when saving files.

* The FileSize action now works with files larger than 2GB.

* The FolderExists action no longer returns true when passed an empty folder name.

* Code inserted into the action editor via the “Insert Action” button can now be undone.

* And several other minor fixes.

This is a beta version, but registered users are welcome to use it for their compile projects if they choose. This will be a relatively short beta test so please report any bugs as soon as possible.
Last edited by Neosoft Support on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
NeoSoft Support
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Error Message encountered during installation ...
C:\Program Files\NeoBook5\NB5ActiveX.ocx
Unable to register DLL/OCX
RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3
Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended) or Abort to cancel installation
i) clicked Retry button ... same error message again

ii) clicked Abort

Await further instructions from Dave.
luishp

Post by luishp »

Same for me.
I just pressed "Ignore" and it seems to work fine.

First impressions:

Very nice new look.

The antialiasing feature is really fantastic.

Wow!, now it's possible to use VBScript and JScript on functions. Although seems quite different from using them on websites. Are they "VBScript and JScript for applications"?.
And most important for me: Is it possible to interact with the Flash container or other NeoBook objects?
Also, is it possible to embed VBScript and JScript through a new action, not having to use functions?

Some bugs i have noticed:

When double-clicking on an action name, inside any object action panel, no longer brings up the action properties panel if you do it over the first letters. Strange.

Draging an object inside a rectangle does not work as it should (it jumps from drop place to another).

The "Would you like to take a quick tour" message appears everytime NeoBook starts.
Boo (Gulf Breeze)

Problem with Software Passport?

Post by Boo (Gulf Breeze) »

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed the beta. When compiling my project and then using Software Passport, the protected file is giving me a "Test.exe is not a valid Win32 application" message.

Worked fine with the previous build of Neobook.

Thanks,

- Boo
Frederik Gerritsen

Post by Frederik Gerritsen »

Hi to all neobookers

I have the same problem as Gaev, even when i try with ignore the program running but running a application doesn't work at all... A Vista problem !

Unable to register DLL/OCX
RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3
Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended) or Abort to cancel installation
domino

Post by domino »

I have the same problem as Frederik and Gaev. (I`m using Vista SP1)
smartmedia

Post by smartmedia »

Hi...

Dave is possible to do something with that till the stable version...???
http://www.neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16030
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Following up on the Unable to register DLL/OCX problem ...

a) I am using Windows XP pro (Media Edition) ... SP2 with all subsequent updates ... so problem is not confined to Vista ... although Vista may present additional bumps/walls ... due to the fact that it requires "human intervention" (logging on as Administrator is not sufficient) before Vista will service certain critical requests.

b) After a good night's sleep, I noticed that according to the error message, it is looking for ...

... but my original NeoBook is installed in ...

C:\gk\Neo5

... and this is the same place where this (beta) would have been installed ... and where a file with the name of NB5ActiveX.ocx does exist ... perhaps, the installation script was hard-coded to reference the "default" installation folder ? ... perhaps others can post whether they use default or custom folders where NeoBook is installed.

c) Since the file in question is probably not used unless you compile as a Browser Plugin ... ignoring this might not have an adverse impact on the rest of the functionality ... but I will await "word from the creator" ... before moving forward with the installation/testing.
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Using XP Pro SP2, I too had a problem during installation. I chose the installation folder d:\Program Files\NeoBook5\. I just changed the default install path from C to D. First attempt it froze while registering files. It acted like there was another window behind the installation window, but I couldn't bring it to the front. Probably the error dialog Gaev got.

Ctl-Alt-Delete to get out of it. Second attempt it went all the way through, but when I clicked 'Finish' at the end, it rebooted my computer, without a note from it's mother. Computer came back up but hung before even showing my tray apps.

Reset it this time. Once machine came back up, ran it, and everything seemed to be ok, (nice job on interface!) except for the fonts. Using a copy of an existing project, where the font was MS Sans Serif in black, was now Arial in very light gray color in disabled textentry boxes. Probably due to the boxes being disabled, but it showed fine in last stable version.

I stopped at this point for the nite. Will beat it up some more today.

Added Later: Forgot to mention that when I clicked Open to open a pub, it DID display the last used folder, in D:\Neobook 5, where my stable version is installed.
Last edited by Wrangler on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
beno

Post by beno »

Hi,

I installed this beta using a different folder.

The installer approached 100% and then got hung. I ended it with the Task Manager.

But the beta installation is working nice.

It looks real nice.

My cent,

beno
sombra

Post by sombra »

Hello,
I installed neobook 5.6 beta 1 in a different folder to neobook 5.54 (for preserve the previous version).
The only problem found, was at the end of the installation, the installer was not close anymore until I re-started my system. The installer remain freeze while it showed the message: "Registering files..."

Tested at Windows XP Pro SP3.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

I am also invited to take the Neobook Tour each time I run it.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
sombra

Post by sombra »

I am also invited to take the Neobook Tour each time I run it.
Same here.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

In another existing pub, this code no longer works:

ListBoxDeleteItem "listbox1" "all"

SetVar "[rtinputvar1]" "[pubdir]templates\"
SetVar "[rtinputvar2]" "templates.dat"
rtFolderList

FileLen "templates.dat" "[flen]"
Loop "1" "[flen]" "[x]"
FileRead "templates.dat" "[x]" "[templatename]"
StrParse "[templatename]" "\" "[name]" "[numparsed]"
ListBoxAddItem "listbox1" "0" "[name5]"

endloop

Using Ronnie's rtFileSystem. It now only shows the parent folder (templates) in the listbox, instead of the subfolders under it. However, templates.dat contains the full paths to the subfolders correctly.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
AlfB

Post by AlfB »

The Object display only shows about three and a half objects. The size is not changeable on my XP SP3.
My insattaltion also hang up in the end when registering, though I didn't change the directory, I got it installed in my original NB5.5.4 directory which is on HD F:
Also the NB Tour window appears at every start.

NB5.6 doesn't re-open the last used pub, as did the previous versions.