NeoBook 5.6 Beta Released!

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

AlfB:

You can change the size of the object window by dragging it out to the middle of the screen, resize it, and drag it back. It has always been this way.

I can confirm the last used pub not loading.

It also shows the new pub when starting with grid showing, even though it was turned off in the last used pub.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Wrangler:
In another existing pub, this code no longer works:

Loop "1" "[flen]" "[x]"
FileRead "templates.dat" "[x]" "[templatename]"
StrParse "[templatename]" "\" "[name]" "[numparsed]"
ListBoxAddItem "listbox1" "0" "[name5]"
Endloop
StrParse command is looking for the 5th parsed item in [templatename] ... temporarily modifying the routine like so might help to diagnose the root cause ...

Code: Select all

Loop "1" "[flen]" "[x]" 
	FileRead "templates.dat" "[x]" "[templatename]" 
	StrParse "[templatename]" "\" "[name]" "[numparsed]" 
	AlertBox "Line [x]" "[templatename]|[numparsed]|[name5]"
	ListBoxAddItem "listbox1" "0" "[name5]" 
Endloop
BTW, are you running the .pub/.exe from the same folder as before ? ... in an earlier post you said you installed beta in "D:\something\etc." ... could have something to do with unexpected results.
smartmedia

Post by smartmedia »

Hi...

FocusedObject and self variables are not working.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi all,

I installed Neobook in a different folder to neobook 5.54 too. I use Windows XP Family Edition with the Service Pack 3 and I got a problem too during the installation.

I find the new look very very nice. Good job (like Visual Studio 2008)

When I push on F8 to start the pub, it is a little slow, maybe 2 or 3 sec more.
It publishes very well.

Best Regards

Alex
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Good eyeballs, Gaev. Yes. Running it under Program files added another slash, so the array number is one off.

Actually, this kind of kills this piece of code, because there is no telling which directory the end user will install it in. I'll have to use something other than strparse.

Added: This works:

ExtractFileName "[templatename]" "[foldername]"

By the way, the comment/Uncomment feature is great!
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

I apologize for the unusual problems with the beta installation. The "Unable to register DLL/OCX" error only affects the NB5ActiveX.ocx, so if you select the "Ignore" option and continue with the installation the rest of NeoBook should function correctly. Do not choose the "about" option. A modified installation will be released shortly.
When double-clicking on an action name, inside any object action panel, no longer brings up the action properties panel if you do it over the first letters. Strange.

I cannot reproduce this here. Can you provide more details?
Draging an object inside a rectangle does not work as it should (it jumps from drop place to another).

Can you provide a sample publication that demonstrates this?
The "Would you like to take a quick tour" message appears everytime NeoBook starts.

NB5.6 doesn't re-open the last used pub, as did the previous versions.

It also shows the new pub when starting with grid showing, even though it was turned off in the last used pub.
I'm not able to reproduce these problems here, but they all indicate that something is preventing NeoBook from saving its settings to the registry. Is everyone having this problem or only those using Vista who installed NeoBook into a different folder?
When compiling my project and then using Software Passport, the protected file is giving me a "Test.exe is not a valid Win32 application" message.
I'm afraid that this is a problem with Software Passport. The format of the exe's created by NeoBook may be slightly different than previous versions because we're now using a newer edition of Delphi, but they are still definitely valid Win32 applications. You should be able to send Silicon Realms a copy of your exe and they can tweak Software Passport to correct the error.
...except for the fonts. Using a copy of an existing project, where the font was MS Sans Serif in black, was now Arial in very light gray color in disabled textentry boxes. Probably due to the boxes being disabled, but it showed fine in last stable version.

The update does display disabled text entry fields like Windows does to indicate that the field is disabled. The font face should not change unless the MS Sans Serif font has been removed from your system.
FocusedObject and self variables are not working.
I cannot reproduce this here. Can you supply a sample publication?
When I push on F8 to start the pub, it is a little slow, maybe 2 or 3 sec more. It publishes very well.

The delay is most likely caused by your virus scanner. Every time you run your publication, your virus scanner sees it as a new application and scans it before allowing it to execute. To eliminate this unnecessary delay you need to configure your virus scanner to ignore the folder where your publications are stored.
NeoSoft Support
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Pub title in IDE no longer shows pub size or number of colors.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

The "Would you like to take a quick tour" message appears everytime NeoBook starts.

NB5.6 doesn't re-open the last used pub, as did the previous versions.

Is everyone having this problem or only those using Vista who installed NeoBook into a different folder?
I have the problems using xp sp2 and installing into a different folder.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Pub title in IDE no longer shows pub size or number of colors.
This was removed intentionally. I think 99.99% of all pubs are now created in 16 million color mode, so this information doesn't seem important enough to appear in the caption. The pub size could be put back if that's something everyone wants.
NeoSoft Support
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Don't really need number of colors. Pub size has come in handy for me when designing background graphics, so I make them the same size as the pub. I'd like to see it back.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Oops. When you right click on a page tab, it no longer focuses the page like it did. I just deleted a page without intending to. :)
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

When right clicking on a text box, after the text properties dialog shows, it also automagically shows the right click menu for the text, with the cursor at the end of the text.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

The NB5ActiveX.ocx file has been temporarily removed from the v5.6 installation which will eliminate the error messages until we can determine the cause.

If you're having problems associated with the installation, you can try downloading it again and see if that helps.

http://www.neosoftware.com/software/nbw56beta.exe
NeoSoft Support
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Downloaded second beta for v5.6 ... on my XP Pro SP2 machine ... in a folder different from my current v5.5

a) Installation went smoothly.

b) When starting NeoBook ... ALWAYS asks if I want to take a tour ... when I say "Yes", it responds with error message ...

Quick Tour.pub
The file may be missing or damaged
Try running the Setup Program again

... I didn't ... and there is no such pub in the installed folder.

c) Even after changing Options>>>Preferencies>>>Startup Options>>>Open last edited publication ... NeoBook always starts with a blank window (as in option Open blank new publication)

d) In Action Editor ... when double clicking on the Action commands, it does not always popup the wizard for the command ... looks like the further to the right (within the command) you double click the better your chances of getting it to popup ... e.g. ...

SetVar
Return
AlertBox
RefreshObject
FileExists
FileErase
dbpCreateAccessDatabase
If
EndIf

... also, when command is indented, greater number of characters that will respond to double click.

e) The Page tabs are somewhat problematic ...

- right clicking on a tab does not automatically make it the "current/default" page as far as subsequent menu actions are concerned

- the tips (x of y) now appear to be blocking the tabs more than before (perhaps due to newer tab shapes) ... so when trying to click on a page tab, you end up clicking on the tip ... resulting in a "beep"

I like the new tab shapes ... and I believe some people requested the numbering ... I suggest the tip be placed further to the right ... or at least provide an option to turn the tips off.

f) In response to F7 ... the page list is correctly sorted ... but I don't think the "Show Images" Check Box works ... no difference whether it is checked or not.

g) [self] works ... [FocusedObject] works ...

h) Disabled TextEntry Box with font set to MS sans Serif ... displays the text in MS Sans Serif Font (albeit greyed out) ...

i) Right Clicking on a Text Box works as expected ... @wrangler: could it be that your mouse is acting up ? ... a year ago, I had a similar problem with the left mouse button ... every so often, a single click was registering as two single clicks ... drove me nuts while in IE ... a new mouse solved the problem.

j) Word wrap and comment/uncomment inside Action Editor both appear to work ... nice additions for developers.

k) Verified that ... the function editor no longer adds an extra empty line when saving files.
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Just bought a hundred dollar Logitech mouse. MX Revolution. Seems to work correctly with everything else. Just the text boxes behave that way, and it doesn't do it in the last version.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix