RT plugins

Plug-ins and utilities of interest to NeoBook authors

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Bernardo

RT plugins

Post by Bernardo »

Hi,
I was checking Ron Marie´s website (NB RT plugins), I would like to know if there are any updates to their plugins or any news @ a site update. On the site, they still say NB version 4.
Are the plugins compatible with Windows Vista?
All the best
Bernardo
beno

Post by beno »

Hi Bernardo,

My suggestion is to download the one you are interested in and test it.

Ronnie´s plugins comes with nice examples.

HTH,

beno
Jay-Bird

Post by Jay-Bird »

I can tell you (advise you) that rtFileSystemManagement has several functions that do not work with XP SP2 or Vista ...

Some work intermittently and some do not work at all.

:shock:

I guess it was my fault for buying it knowing it said NB4 .... I should not have purchased to use with NB5 ...

Jay

ALso from another thread:
Hi All,
Many of the Vista OS's security functions are NOT compatible with XP and earlier OS. That is why many popular software like McAfee, Symantec and others have to release a Vista version for their range of software.

rtProtectMgt IS NOT COMPATIBLE with Vista due to the fact that at the time of development, many algorithms were based on XP/98 codes. As such, there will be error if you attempt to use any of the security and encryption functions in your PUB running on Vista OS.

In general, all security/encryption functions in all our plug-ins may not work on Vista.

There are no plans to have a Vista-supported functions at the moment due to the lack of availability on open-source algorithms at the moment.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards
Ronnie
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Thanks for the replies, beno and Jay-Bird. Jay, thx for the info @rtfilesystem.
All the best
Bernardo
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Jay:

I know rtprotect doesn't work with Vista, but was not aware rtfilesystem doesn't. Can you be more specific about which actions don't? A lot of my titles use rtfilesystem. Although I've had no support tickets about it, many people will just delete the trial and move on, as opposed to reporting it.
I guess it was my fault for buying it knowing it said NB4 .... I should not have purchased to use with NB5
It's not your fault. We all bought the plugin in good faith that it would be upgraded if needed. Telling me that Vista has different security algorithms is not much of an excuse. If all developers stopped developing because a new OS is released, we would have no development.

And although they still need to see the light of day, Al doesn't seem to have a problem upgrading his plugs for Vista. The solution is out there. One just has to go out and look for it, and then take the time to implement it.

I guess what irks me most is the taking of my eighty bucks, and then "See Ya!".
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Jay-Bird

Post by Jay-Bird »

rtFileSystemManagement works (95% anyway) ...just not all functions...and some work several times, then wont , then will...strange behavior)

Here are some of the functions that I found that do not work / crippled / intermittent / or just shut down Neobook when running:
Hide/Show Start Button
DOS RUN (although I can accomplish this in NB5)
Register your Program extension
LineNumberInFIle always returns a -1 no matter what I do
Create Virtual Drive shuts down Neobook (locks up then shuts down)
GetFIleDAte - works %50 of time...and with an error each time
SetFileTime - works, but with errors
when using CopyFilesToFolder get an error '12:59:59 AM is not a valid integer value'
these are only the ones I needed and couldnt get to work...I havent tried every single function, these were some of the ones I needed to work badly but wouldnt....be advised you must update most of the example code behind the buttons in Ronnies demos...they were written in 2003 and you have to adjust them to work with XP or Vista....

I am Not knocking Ronnies plug in....most functions work great...but they are pretty common like screen savers, icons, etc... also the math and trim functions I use work great...for the money it was (is?) still full of a lot of functions, I just need the few that dont work badly! :-)

But the above mentioned do not...
Jay-Bird

Post by Jay-Bird »

:oops:

I just tried rtLineNumInFile with a text file created in notepad and rtLineNumInFile works!

I have never needed the rtLineNumInFile to work with a file created in notepad, I needed it to work with other text files as in .csv and .txt's created by filewrite from NB ... (Tab Delimited, csv,DBF exports etc)

I STILL cannot get rtLineNumInFile to work with the filewrite command from NB5 ...

Can someone else that reads this give it a try?

Try a simple:

Code: Select all

FileWrite "[PubDir]test.txt" "1" "[#34]line1[#34][#9][#34]aaa[#34][#9][#34][field3][#34][#9][#34][field4][#34][#9][field5][#9][#34][field6][#34][#13][#10]"
FileWrite "[PubDir]test.txt" "2" "[#34]line2[#34][#9][#34]bbb[#34][#9][#34][field3][#34][#9][#34][field4][#34][#9][field5][#9][#34][field6][#34][#13][#10]"

SetVar "[rtInputVar1]" "[PubDir]test.txt"
SetVar "[rtInputVar2]" "bbb"
rtLineNumInFile
then try the same by opening notepad and creating a file and rtLineNumberInFile ... it works... dosent with filewrite NB

Always returns a -1 when using filewrite ...tried it with [#13][#10] , just [#13] , just [#10] , [#10][#13] etc...... anyone know what it is looking for that is different in notepad from a filewrite?
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Jay-Bird:

a) You don't need the [#13][#10] at the end of the data when you use FileWrite

b) I don't know what rtLineNumInFile does ... especially the purpose of SetVar "[rtInputVar2]" "bbb" ... but try FileLen "![PubDir]test.txt" "[Lines]" ... to get confirmation of number of lines stored in the file.

c) Also, you might try an example with hard coded text between the [#34] wrappers ... that way you can be sure that you are not trying to store non-text characters in the [fields]
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

rtLineNumInFile searches for a string in a file, and returns the line number it finds it on, or -1 if not found. I use it quite a bit with no problem, but not in Vista.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Jay-Bird

Post by Jay-Bird »

Gaev wrote:Jay-Bird:

a) You don't need the [#13][#10] at the end of the data when you use FileWrite

b) I don't know what rtLineNumInFile does ... especially the purpose of SetVar "[rtInputVar2]" "bbb" ... but try FileLen "![PubDir]test.txt" "[Lines]" ... to get confirmation of number of lines stored in the file.

c) Also, you might try an example with hard coded text between the [#34] wrappers ... that way you can be sure that you are not trying to store non-text characters in the [fields]
HI Gaev,

FileLen works...correctly...I JUST found the problem with rtFSM...

If I strip ALL ascii characters out of the lines (except spaces) it works...
If I wrap any words or numbers in quotes or seperate using tab it will not work...but I can now create a workaround which will speed up by many multiples when I read a file line by line (13,000+ lines) and do a dbf query for a certain field (always wrapped by quotes and tab or comma seperated)

Basically I am updating a tab delimited or csv file with a "newer" qty and price that is previously imported into a dbf ... very very slow when your file to be updated contains 13,000 to 17,000 products ...

The file (updates to qty) is only a small file (4 columns) so it imports fast, but then I read each line of the master list (much much larger file 9+MB) one by one, parse the SKU, then dbf query with a == , update the qty then filewrite to a copy of the master list...

Now I can cut down what took 3-4 hours to simply a line read, search & replace...no dbf, no query....yipppeee!

Thanks for the help .... I dont know why I didnt take the time to figure out the bug before, as I have had this plugin for a while...I just never got a reply from Ronnie (and he hasnt answered an email or they never reached him) ...

Thanks again,

Jay

Jay
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Jay:

I just had the opportunity to check linenuminfile again.

SetVar "[rtinputvar1]" "[pubdir]iptables.conf"
SetVar "[rtinputvar2]" "163.178.0.0/"
rtLineNumInFile

It searched a file with over 19,000 lines and found the above in a flash out of this line in the file:

-A INPUT -s 163.178.0.0/255.255.0.0 -j DROP
OR
-A INPUT -s "163.178.0.0/"255.255.0.0 -j DROP (with quotes)
OR
-A INPUT -s 163.178.0.0/255.255.0.0 -j DROP (with tab)

The entire file was created using filewrite. Tested on XP SP2. Haven't tested it in Vista yet, but I can't imagine it wouldn't work there, as we are talking pure acsii files, and that wouldn't change in Vista. So apparently it WILL find parts of strings in each line. And it found it in less than a second on line 18435.

I also tested the code you posted above, and it finds bbb on line 2. Don't know why you had problems, Jay.

I'm just glad it works, because I use this action quite a bit in my projects. :)
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix