NeoBook FM/FTP

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

ajhunt

NeoBook FM/FTP

Post by ajhunt »

Hi all, is anyone else experiencing a delay with the NeoBook Debugger when NeoBookFM/FTP plugin (1.4) is installed. If NeoBookFM/FTP removed then the debugger and running is quick as normal, but with NeoBookFM/FTP installed it takes 3-4 seconds before displaying the debugger and running. It seems to be conflicking with something maybe after the latest windows update maybe. Is there an alternative plugin to use maybe (just to connect, make folders, upload and check file exists) as this is not great with new pubs going out to clients. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Gaev

Re: NeoBook FM/FTP

Post by Gaev »

ajhunt:
experiencing a delay with the NeoBook Debugger when NeoBookFM/FTP plugin (1.4) is installed.
this is not great with new pubs going out to clients.
a) I am confused ... what has the Debugger got to do with new pubs (i.e. exe file) going to clients ?

b) Is there a delay when the .exe is run ... or just when you try to run it from Design Mode ? ... F8, F9, F10 ?

The delay could be caused by the anti-virus program doing a check on the (plugin) file ... I miss the days when pressing F8/F9 was responded immediately ... I understand that you can get around this by specifying folders that the anti-virus program should ignore ... but I am too "scaredy-cat" to leave such a back door open to the hackers.
ajhunt

Re: NeoBook FM/FTP -Solved

Post by ajhunt »

Hi gaev, thankyou for your reply. I use the debugger when developing my pubs to make sure all is ok and no errors. The debugger was waiting 3-4 seconds when "Run From Start (F9)" before actually running the pub in Design Mode. It was annoying having to wait everytime while developing. The delay was also happening from the .exe file was being run. My anti-virus is was turned off. BUT all solved now - rolled back windows and hey presto the delay has gone. I'm not really understanding leaving a back door open to the hackers, when instructing the anti-virus program to exclude a particular folder it is only excluded on that actual system. But I think you mean telling clients to exclude the folder and I would agree not to do that. Dam the Windows automatic updates and seems no matter what do trying to stop them in services.msc they still download - maybe I should just stay off line lol. Thanks again gaev for your time as always appreciated :)
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

ajhunt:
The debugger was waiting 3-4 seconds when "Run From Start (F9)" before actually running the pub in Design Mode.
The delay was also happening from the .exe file was being run.
My anti-virus is was turned off.
BUT all solved now - rolled back windows and hey presto the delay has gone.
Thanks for the clarification ... when you turn off your anti-virus program, Windows automatically reverts to its "Windows Defender" program ... so, it could be that defender's version that runs under the newer version of Windows behaves differently (causing the delay).
I'm not really understanding leaving a back door open to the hackers, when instructing the anti-virus program to exclude a particular folder it is only excluded on that actual system.
Yes, but the anti-virus has to store the name(s) of the excluded folders/files somewhere on your hard disk (even if it is obfuscated/encrypted) ... thus, if the antivirus can decrypt it, so can a very clever hacker ... which means that a hacker might place the real-hacked code within this folder ... and no one would look in there !!!
But I think you mean telling clients to exclude the folder and I would agree not to do that.
I was just thinking about my/your computers ... if users experience similar delays, you/we are "up the creek without a pole" :-(

Perhaps you can post the versions of Windows that worked and did not work.
ajhunt

Post by ajhunt »

Just found out that even with a totally clean Windows install, the debugger works instantly as should. With a brand new pub with FM/FTP it works properly, BUT after making a FTP connection with either FileZillia, WS FTP Pro or even the FTP client provided with FM/FTP, it then gives a 3-4 second delay when running any pub which has the FM/FTP plugin installed - remove the FM/FTP plugin and it works again as should do, instantly again with no delay. Something is happening after any connection is made by a FTP Client it seems. This is with anti-virus turned on or off or adding an exception. Currently using NeoBookFM/FTP v1.4 (will go back to older version and try) :)
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

ajhunt:

Are there any fmftpXXX commands in your pub's Startup (or Enter section of first page of pub) ?
ajhunt

Post by ajhunt »

Hi Gaev, no there were no FMFTP commands in startup - it was evenm doing the error with a brand new pub. Problem solved though, with a rebuild of windows and restoring pubs and plugin back. What I noticed was Windows Defender was not being turned on when avast was turned off, which is what should happen and vice versa, Windows Defender turned off when any other anti-virus installed. Windows Defender would not turn on or off withing Windows. All ok now with a rebuild. So glad I always do weekly backups :) Many many thanks for your help as always as always greatly appreciated. :)