gtComms examples

Using NeoBook to control external hardware and devices.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

michi

gtComms examples

Post by michi »

Hi all, searching in the forum I found an old plugin named "gtComms" that seems able to receive data from com port rs232.
Unfortunately I haven't found any example pubs that can help me to understand how use commands.

As I wrote in september I must connect some barcode readers that reads information and execute complex logical thinkings.

After some months of work I've finished to write the code, but there's this final step.

What I'm trying to do it's to execute a subroutine when publication receive barcodes. Once resolved this problem all will be done.

Anyone can help me?

thanks in advance

Michi
Michi

Started to use Neobook in 2003 when I was 12 to make interactive books. Coders saw me and smiled.
Nowadays I'm still using Neobook to create advanced and powerful softwares. Coders see me and say: «how did you make that?»
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: gtComms examples

Post by Neosoft Support »

I'm not aware of any sample pubs for gtComms, but the PDF help file included with the plug-in has lots of code examples.
NeoSoft Support
michi

Post by michi »

‎unfortunately I only have the plugin file without any pdf help :-(
Michi

Started to use Neobook in 2003 when I was 12 to make interactive books. Coders saw me and smiled.
Nowadays I'm still using Neobook to create advanced and powerful softwares. Coders see me and say: «how did you make that?»
ebear

Post by ebear »

Hello Michi,

Please see my new post viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20635&p=11215237#p11215237

Regards,

Eric
http://www.lunarsoftware.eu - Lunar Software ERP database Development. Manufacturing processes, Document management, QMS, Stock management. Standalone solutions or connected to Helios Orange and other ERP systems.
michi

Post by michi »

Hi ebear,

thank you very much for the manual.

I read it but I'm confused.
If I understand there isn't possibility to be always listening com port, but: I open the port and then all inputs remains in the buffer until I decide to "download" them. So I can't receive instantly what barcode reader scan for me.

Maybe It's possible to add a timer and every handful of milliseconds neobook can see buffer size and decide what to do, but it isn't expensive for a software that doing also other actions?

thanks for your support guys,

Michi
Michi

ebear

Post by ebear »

Hello Michi,

There is an option to listen in a loop or as you already wrote to put the code in a timer. I know it isn't perfect and it would be great that there would be a "OnReceiveGoSub" to monitor the RS232 status.
Problem with gtComms is that the Author doesn't support the plugin anymore. Hopefully there will be a better plugin in the future, but for the meantime.....

Regards,

Eric
http://www.lunarsoftware.eu - Lunar Software ERP database Development. Manufacturing processes, Document management, QMS, Stock management. Standalone solutions or connected to Helios Orange and other ERP systems.
michi

Post by michi »

Many thanks ebear. It would be fantastic to have (also paying) a powerfull rs232 plugin. Possibilities would be unlimited.

My problem with timer solution is that i'm afraid software could be slow and kill performance. I must insert com communication in a structured software that control an entire firm department: hundreds of variables, many different database and so on. A software that must be optimised because used by industrial operator. So if a new feature is introduced must be absolutly tested and works.

Maybe I can create another small application that only manage com events....

Anyway I'd like to thank forum users because thanks to the new Hardware's section I discover Arduino project and now I buy it. Ideals with that device seems unlimited. I hope we can talk about them.

Linking neobook code with an hardware in order to control it makes who use neobook every day happy as a child on christmas day.

:D
Michi