I need ideas for a new service...

Questions and information about using VBScript and JavaScript in NeoBook functions

Moderator: Neosoft Support

David de Argentina

I need ideas for a new service...

Post by David de Argentina »

Hi all,

I'm doing a new service CDO based in order to handle .EML files
(Live is too short to wait for the Alberto Meyer times...) :roll:

At this moment, this service can:

* Open a selected .EML file
* Display the File into a WebBrowser Object.
* Get the Sender value
* Get the CC value
* Get the BCC value
* Get the From value
* Get the ReplyTo value
* Get the ReceivedTime value
* Get the SentOn value
* Get the Subject value
* Get the TextBody value
* Get the HTMLBody value
* Get the Attachment.Count Value
* Get the Attachment.Filelist value
* Extract all Attachment Files to a Temporal Selected Folder

Does any think i forget something ?
Are another data of interest to extract ?

Please, tell me your opinion.
Thanks in advance,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Re: I need ideas for a new service...

Post by David de Argentina »

Thanks Gaev for you PM.

I don't decide to migrate from XP for the same reason: Newer versions of Windows does not have Outlook Express.

I was thinking about put on open source my project of Outlook Express Clone program, but, as it uses some registered plugins, this is an inconvenience...

The "raw message" is the .EML itself, it could be editeable using any text processor.
Actually, the service i'm doing is a VBScript function, not a plugin, and returns in a variable like [MSG_TextBody] the raw text of the .EML File.

There are some Neo Plugins with services to transform any file to a base-64 encoded file. If you need the "original" one, you could extract this from the .EML file. It is very simple.

From/ReplyTo/CC/BCC data are provided by the function.

I discovered over the net a C# program that exports all mails from any DBX (the Outlook Express databases) file to .EML's files. After this, you could use my VBScript function ( must be addapted for this batch purpose ) and proccess all the .EML's files on one pass. As you get all needed data, you could insert all EML files into a database, with all significative data for each field.

This is the way my OE Clone works.

Greetings from a very cold Buenos Aires.
David de Argentina
Gaev

Re: I need ideas for a new service...

Post by Gaev »

David de Argentina:

Yes, that was my strategy/plan for migrating away from XP (Outlook Express) as well ... create the .eml files using the export program ... then use your plugin to load the contents of the eml files to a database.

I could do the parsing myself ... but if you were developing a plugin, it would be a more economical (efficent/productive) method to do the loading part.

I am not sure I am going to load the attachment data myself ... but the suggestions for providing these components in your plugins were to make it a complete offering.