Fun Pack Set Up

Questions related to the distribution, marketing and selling of applications created with NeoBook. (Formally titled: "Making Money with NeoBook")

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Smythy

Fun Pack Set Up

Post by Smythy »

I am creating a package of puzzles, quizzes and stories for kids (of all ages).

My problem is I am not sure how to finalise the publishing of the NeoBook for both security and ease of use purposes.
I will be using a digital delivery system such as aplusdownload.com as an example for distribution and payment through PayPal, but I haven't decided which one to use as yet, as their are many of them, so any suggestions would be helpful.

But my main query is how produce the finished EXE. file.
For ease of use I was going for the simple self extracting method, as their
is no need for the user to go through an installation process, as all of the material is embedded as SWF files.

So can anyone give me some advice as to what to do when publishing and
what best not to do.

Smythy
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

I would recommend using an installer such as InnoSetup (free). People are leery of programs without them (myself included). A majority of trojans and viruses are put into self-extracting files.

Even though the installer is only copying files, it gives folks a sense of security, albeit a false one, since viruses can be put into any exe.

Can't help much with the digital delivery system. I've never used one. I process all orders manually. I wrote an invoicer program with neobook that records the sale, generates an unlock code, then sends it to the customer by email. Take a look at tradebit.com. Cheap, been there for years, and Rolf the owner is a great guy.

I use Armadillo for securing the exe. It's a bit expensive, but there are others out there that will work as well. Download a trial version first to see if it works with neobook exe's (some don't). Maybe those who have used others successfully can comment here.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Smythy

Post by Smythy »

Thanks Wrangler.

Some very good info there which I will definetly act on.

I had never heard of InnoSetUp or Armadillo, maybe because I've never
vetured down this road before.

I probably will use these programs, but I would like to keep this post alive and ask what anyone else has to suggest. I'm sure there are others just starting out like myself and will also be looking for the same help.

So if anyone wants to flag up what they use, please do.

Thanks again Wrangler

Smythy
datadon

Post by datadon »

The ole wrangler been been around a good spell now, he knows what he's talkin' bout. Some say he is older than dirt...oh wait that's me. Anyway, my only caution is that you don't ask him too many questions. He might have to shoot you first.

Ole Don outta Waco.
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Thank god for Neobook and Geritol! :lol: :lol:

But let's get the facts straight: First came dirt, then Don, and then me.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
datadon

Post by datadon »

Yup, got that right partner! Merry Christmas to ya'll.
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'