NeoBook 5.5.3 Update Released!

Information about NeoBook Updates

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Silas Underdog

Post by Silas Underdog »

I thank you for your help. I was just thinking wishfully.
I also found a problem with this version and had to install the previous. After installing it loaded the recent pub but wouldn't go past the first screen. After installing the previous version it started working again.

I thank you
Silas Underdog

Post by Silas Underdog »

Hey again everbuddy.

I wasn't really talking about having an open pub that could be viewed/manipulated. I was talking about extracting an embedded exe and binding user created files to the exe template. I have made two programs that work perfectly, but I can't put up with the blue wizard icon which takes over every finished product. I can't find anything that can change the icon after compiling/binding and I have tried every res hacker, exe icon changer and nothing works.

If one of you plug masters make a better binder which allows icon choices, mark one down as "Sold" to me.

I thank you
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Hmmm. No problem with that here. Tell us a little about your system; OS etc. Did you try installing it again, or with a different pub? Maybe try double clicking on a different pub file, or running NB by double clicking directly on the neobook.exe in Windows Explorer. What anti-virus are you running? You might try disabling it temporarily, and then running NB.
but wouldn't go past the first screen.
What do you mean by "first screen". The nb splash screen? Your pub's first screen? Does it cause nb to hang? or can you exit nb?

Sorry for all the questions. This is an isolated case, and we need more info to help identify the problem.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Silas Underdog

Post by Silas Underdog »

Hey everbuddy

It may have a problem with NeobookDX plugin. I tried it several times, but only one time did it show an error. It was about NeobookDX causes an access violation, but I was just needing to get back to my pub. I am using NbDX with that particular pub, but I never received the error before. It is the first screen of my pub. I placed a "Demo version" popup box on the entry screen with a "Continue" button which only closes the custom window returning to the page properities area which sends it to the next page. I tried disabling the custom window/popup box and it still wouldn't go to the next screen. I will reinstall it into a different dir and look for the problem, but I do think it may be with DX.

I thank you
Silas Underdog

Post by Silas Underdog »

Hey everbuddy

I said I would install to a diff dir, but I forgot it's just a patch. I just added the GotoNextPage to the custom window button instead and it does ok. I don't know maybe the new version detected something in the page properties that it possibly ignored before. I have a lot of code in the first page properties and may need some re-reading and re-evaluating. I haven't tried many pubs with it yet, but I'm don't think now it was any fault of NeoBook.

I thank you for all your help
Silas Underdog

Post by Silas Underdog »

Hey again

After checking deeper I found that none of my custom window groups will close with a button on it which contains only one line of code. So if you don't mind try this and see if you have the same problem or if it is just me.
Take a picture or anything you want and place objects on it with a Close button which has only CloseCustomWindow "Group1" or whatever you name the group. I can close it with the red X but the button will not close it. I have several programs with groups for custom windows and none of them will close with that command as they would before this patch was installed.

I thank you
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Are you using a group of objects, or a container? Using a container, I have no problem.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
datadon

Post by datadon »

Ahhhhh, the gears are turning....smoke is pouring out...

good stuff.

Thanks for the info and ideas.
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
HPW

Post by HPW »

Silas,
.... So if you don't mind try this and see if you have the same problem or if it is just me.
Take a picture or anything you want and place objects on it with a Close button which has only CloseCustomWindow "Group1" or whatever you name the group. ....
This works for me without problems.
I can open and close the customwindow as expected.
Hans-Peter
Silas Underdog

Post by Silas Underdog »

Hey everbuddy

I was using Groups. I have tested the use of containers but never went through all my pubs and changed them.

I thank you
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

You can not get a = character into the Parameters entry field.
I can't imagine why an equal sign wouldn't be accepted, but I'll add it to the list of things to correct in the next release.
NeoSoft Support
TMcD

Re: NeoBook 5.5.3 Update Released!

Post by TMcD »

Neosoft Support wrote:NeoSoft Corp. has released NeoBook version 5.5.3. Registered users of previous versions of NeoBook 5 can download a free update patch for version 5.5.3 from the following web site:

http://www.neosoftware.com/patch.html

Follow the instructions to download and apply the update patch.

This update contains the following:

Enhancements

- Added a command line compiler option. To use the command line compiler, start NeoBook with the /C switch followed by the full path and file name of the publication to compile. For example:

NeoBook.exe /C "C:\Program Files\NeoBook 5\My Pubs\Sample.pub"

The command line compiler will only accept one publication file at a time. The publication will be compiled using the publication's last saved compiler configuration. Make sure NeoBook is not already running before using the command line compile option. NeoBook will close after the compilation is complete.

Comments have been made that this will allow you to allow others to create NeoBook EXE's...

My understanding is that what this REALLY allows is for you to quickly create .exe's in a "batch" way, so to speak.

For example:

You create a version for client A that has reference to client A in it. You create a version for client B that has a reference to client B. Then, withouth having to open each pub and then compile it, you can command line them.

NOT: You create an .exe that allows people to save out another .exe.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

What I'm not sure of is...

Can you create a tool to save out (for example) 13 versions of a pub and then command line them all at once. (I don't see why not, the PUB is text.)

??? (I think the answer is yes, that can be done.)

Anyway, clarification (I did look at the help included with the upgrade, but there weren't too many details at this time.) would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Troy
datadon

Post by datadon »

Just some random thoughts on this item.

I understand that would have to have an installed version of NB in order to use the command line compiler. But is it feasible to have a separate compiler that could to shipped with an application that would allow the user to compile a pub?

By that I mean, say (as an example) we were to create a base pub with perameters for say a generic company. Then we woud create an exe that would allow those parameters (vars) to be set as the customer wanted. Then they could compile the item and create an exe. Something like a branded catalog for example that they might want to send out.

Maybe the compiler would have to do some branding or have a limitation to it in some way. Perhaps the compiler could even be sold for a certain number of uses. I can think of some issues with this, but thought I would see if there is any possiblity of such a thing. Maybe it would have to use an encrypted pub of some type.
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

Unfortunately, the CloseCustomWindow action does not appear to be working correctly in test mode. However, it does work correctly with compiled publications. This is related to the following 5.5.3 fix:
The CloseWindow action now works correctly with embedded files while running in test mode. Previously, this feature only worked with compiled publications.
We'll try to correct this as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.
My understanding is that what [the command line compiler] REALLY allows is for you to quickly create .exe's in a "batch" way, so to speak...

That's correct, the command line compiler is just a way to access NeoBook's compiler in an automated way. It's not something that can be accessed from a compiled pub or deployed over the Internet. Only the NeoBook.exe contains this functionality. It's intended as a convenience for authors who routinely compile a number of publications.
NeoSoft Support