IE9 emulation gives best display

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

fkapnist

IE9 emulation gives best display

Post by fkapnist »

As you can see with the about.com home page, the "IE7 compatibility" checkbox emulation does absolutely nothing if you are using a new version of IE. But changing the Registry setting to "IE9 Standards" emulation gives the best display in NeoBook for HTML5 and CSS.

The following Registry settings with 9000 as the DWORD will improve NeoBook display and performance...

For IE9 Standards mode the DWORD is 9000 and it will appear as 0x2328 when entered in the reigistry:

Browser Emulation

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or HKEY_CURRENT_USER)
SOFTWARE
Microsoft
Internet Explorer
Main
FeatureControl
FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
yourNeoBookprogram.exe = (DWORD) 2328

To control the value of this feature by using the registry, add the name of your executable file to the following setting and set the value to match the desired 9000 setting. This is the most important setting than needs to be made. Microsoft also recommended some other changes to the Registry but they are really not helpful unless your viewers are using browsers older than IE8.
:arrow:
(All the suggestions on this forum about using a "Chrome plugin" were really not necessary after all).
:idea:

Last edited by fkapnist on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: IE9 emulation gives best display

Post by Neosoft Support »

This is very good information. Thank you for doing all of this research and sharing your results with us.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:This is very good information. Thank you for doing all of this research and sharing your results with us.

NeoBook and other programs that use the Windows WebBrowser object should include a control for the end user to easily emulate IE versions. The average user doesn't know how to change Registry settings and a mistake there can make Windows stop working. So there should be an easy widget for that. Anyone who wants to profit by distributing such a tool is probably not too bright. We want to create a market, not cut it off before anyone can enter.

The tool front end should look something like this:

The back-end code IS exactly this: A total of nine *.reg files that can be launched like batch files invisibly with Neobook's Run or DOS actions:

IE7Standards.reg
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]
"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:1B58

-----------------------

IE8Standards.reg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]
"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:1F40

-----------------------

IE8Forced.reg

"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:22B8

-----------------------

IE9Standards.reg

"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:2328

-----------------------

IE9Forced.reg

"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:270F

-----------------------

IE10Standards.reg

"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:02710

-----------------------

IE10Forced.reg

"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:2711

-----------------------

IE11Edge.reg

"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:2AF8

-----------------------

IE11Forced.reg

"YourNeobook.exe"=dword:2AF9

-----------------------

Note each registry file should contain a full blank line at the bottom of the file (with no dashed lines). In each batch file replace "YourNeobook.exe" with the name you gave to the program you complied. The NeoBook app must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

This is a very big deal for the end user because if they are in the wrong IE version emulation, they will not have a pleasant experience (and the ebook authors not too happy either). But I hope the code above is simple enough to add into your Neobook projects. Nine batch files and a radio button graphical front end ...

:)

P.S. While developing your project you can enter a "YourNeobook_Test.exe" name to the Registry so you can immediately view in the correct emulation when editing.

:mrgreen:

fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Here are the nine batch files for LOCAL MACHINE in a compressed zip file. Use the cmd files as your actual Neobook hyperlinks and make sure their reg files are also in your Pub Directory. Make any graphical interface you want for them, using dialogs, menus, buttons or plain text links.

http://www.verticalbrowser.com/ads/IE-V ... lators.zip

:roll: :lol: :roll:
Last edited by fkapnist on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Thank you!

The current version of NeoBook uses "00000" which I believed was an undocumented option that tells Windows to use whatever version of IE is installed. Maybe that doesn't work for all versions of IE?
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

In ALL the above examples (and zip file), the user might need Administrative rights to make registry changes to the local machine... So to avoid being stopped, instead of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\

replace with

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\

that way the user won't be prompted for administrative rights but will only affect the current user's settings
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

fkapnist wrote:In ALL the above examples (and zip file), the user might need Administrative rights to make registry changes to the local machine... So to avoid being stopped, instead of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\

replace with

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\

that way the user won't be prompted for administrative rights but will only affect the current user's settings
Here are the nine batch files for CURRENT USER in a compressed zip file. Use the cmd files as your actual Neobook hyperlinks and make sure their reg files are also in your Pub Directory.

http://www.verticalbrowser.com/zips/IEmode-User.zip

:idea:
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:Thank you!

The current version of NeoBook uses "00000" which I believed was an undocumented option that tells Windows to use whatever version of IE is installed. Maybe that doesn't work for all versions of IE?

This is the "Auto Select" setting to apply your current IE version:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]
"MyProgram.exe"=dword:0

----
Last edited by fkapnist on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

fkapnist wrote:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]

----

Okay... I want my Program to load Auto Select (dword 0) when the program begins...

Neobook Example:

RegistryWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" "Software\MyPub\UserName" "Joe"

But my registry write doesn't work in either of the two examples below.

RegistryWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION" "MyProgram.exe=dword:0"

RegistryWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION" "[#34]MyProgram.exe[#34]=dword:0"
I think maybe the quotation marks around the program's name are to blame. Can anyone help?

:?:
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

fkapnist wrote:
fkapnist wrote:

----

So if the program sets the right IE emulation in the registry when it starts, then the program must restart again for the changes to take effect.... Maybe it is better to use an external .exe file to do this during installation?

Okay... I want my Program to load Auto Select (dword 0) when the program begins...

Neobook Example:

RegistryWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION" "MyProgram.exe=dword:0"

RegistryWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION" "[#34]MyProgram.exe[#34]=dword:0"
I think maybe the quotation marks around the program's name are to blame. Can anyone help?

Last edited by fkapnist on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

fkapnist wrote:
fkapnist wrote:

Neobook Example:

So if the program sets the right IE emulation in the registry when it starts, then the program must restart again for the changes to take effect.... Maybe it is better to use an external .exe file to do this during installation?

Last edited by fkapnist on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

I can't find Neobook listed anywhere in FEATURE BROWSER EMULATION of my registry. How and where does the current version of NeoBook use"00000" ?

:!: :?:
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Not, NeoBook itself, but when running your pub in test mode or compiled you should see the exe in the following registry section:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
NeoSoft Support