ActiveX Control

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Hennersdorf

ActiveX Control

Post by Hennersdorf »

When compiling a file in pkg-mode this file is solely displayed sufficiently in the Internet Explorer, but not in Safari or Firefox. How can a fix this problem??
dec

Re: ActiveX Control

Post by dec »

Hello,

From the NeoBook help file:
ActiveX Control (PKG)

This compiler options allows programmers to incorporate compiled NeoBook publications into their applications. NeoBook’s NB5ActiveX.ocx control can be installed as a component in other programming environments that support ActiveX controls, such as Delphi, Visual Basic, C++, etc. Please see the ActiveX Programmer's Guide topic for more information.

Additionally, a publication compiled to this format can also be viewed with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser*. When compiling as an ActiveX control, a sample HTM (HTML) file is created in addition to a special package (PKG) data file. The sample HTM file is very basic, but you can modify it or cut and paste the NeoBook code into another file. Open the HTM file in Internet Explorer to display your NeoBook publication.
This mean, basically, that any application that suppport the ActiveX technology (like Internet Explorer) can incorporate the compiled NeoBook publication. But Mozilla Firefox did not support the ActiveX technology (more information here, for example) and I think Safari did not support too. So, in principle, you cannot use this browsers in this way. Maybe another mate can tell you a possible workaround or something else.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
naglieri

Post by naglieri »

I think this is the real Achilles heel of NeoBook.

Now the hegemony of Explorer no longer exists.
I myself was using the opportunity to make application within the browser.

I think in the future update Neosoftware should focus on this issue.
Be able to publish your application on the web, unfortunately, now is almost essential.
Miss this opportunity NeoBook make a program, in my opinion, lame.

Greetings
Naglieri Marco
Information Technology
Tel +39-0721-433352 Fax +39-0721-400924
Renco S.p.A - 61100 Pesaro - Italy
www.renco.it
dec

Post by dec »

naglieri wrote:I think this is the real Achilles heel of NeoBook.

Now the hegemony of Explorer no longer exists.
I myself was using the opportunity to make application within the browser.

Be able to publish your application on the web, unfortunately, now is almost essential.
Miss this opportunity NeoBook make a program, in my opinion, lame.

Greetings
I think we need to think that a NeoBook publication is not a web publication. What is the problem of ActiveX and why Firefox did not support it? Maybe for security reasons: think that, from a NeoBook publication, you can access to the entire system: writing files, the registry, changing settings, etc. This is something that no one webpage can do it with your computer. Maybe a "flash" application can access (in a restricted way) to your computer, but, normally, a web application (running from a webbrowser) cannot access the system.

So, in my honest opinion, the NeoBook ActiveX offer the expected results: allow others developers to incorporate NeoBook publications into their publications, writen in Delphi, C++ and any other language that support ActiveX. Additionally (this word is exactly that appear in the help file, additionally) this allow to run NeoBook compiled publications inside Internet Explorer, since this program support ActiveX. This alone can be good (I think) for example in a closed environment like a corporation who use NeoBook publications from the browser (ever the same browser).

I hope my point of view are more or less explained. ;)
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

We are looking into offering some type of web app option feature, but writing apps that can run inside a browser is an entirely different process. Many things that are available to programmers in Windows are not available or work completely differently within a browser environment. One of the major issues is that NeoBook plug-ins simply cannot be used in a browser.
NeoSoft Support
fkapnist

Post by fkapnist »

Neosoft Support wrote:
We are looking into offering some type of web app option feature, but writing apps that can run inside a browser is an entirely different process. Many things that are available to programmers in Windows are not available or work completely differently within a browser environment. One of the major issues is that NeoBook plug-ins simply cannot be used in a browser.

I have a website app (mostly written in Javascript) that can access certain file functions within the Internet Explorer Browser (File Open, File Save). But I also want to make the same app as a stand-alone .exe file to resemble the website app but offer more functionality and interaction with local host Windows commands. Having two is better than one. There is nothing wrong with downloading and installing an .exe file you trust. Users are downloading MB of web page data into their temp folders whenever they browse the web anyway. :!: