Using Images

Questions related to the distribution, marketing and selling of applications created with NeoBook. (Formally titled: "Making Money with NeoBook")

Moderator: Neosoft Support

shx

Using Images

Post by shx »

I'm hoping somebody can help me, or at least point me in the direction where I can get the answer to the following question.

I am developing a memory matching game for children in would like to incorporate a library of images of different objects.

My understanding is that I can use Google images to download images from websites because the images are considered private property.

Even the commercial image sites that charge per image is not clear to me if the images are usable for software development or not.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
- Steven
dec

Re: Using Images

Post by dec »

Hello,

You have reason and cannot use any image you found in the web. Personally I use sites like Icon Archive who allow you to search for icons and images under certain licenses, for example, free even for commercial use. Other developers like the FatCow webhosting site offer some images or icons pack (like this) that you can use just by put a link to their website. Anyway, you need some permission from the author in order to use the images. Another possibility is to contact with some graphic designer like Asley Cruz (aka ernesto) which can design and create images in an original and exclusive way. Personally I use this three "images sources" in my software with good results.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
shx

Post by shx »

Thanks David,

What I need are transparent photo images of every day objects.

What you mentioned would not work for it. But it is good to know for the future.
- Steven
dec

Post by dec »

Ops... my fault... sorry. So you need to found certain site with a catalogue of images that you can use. Anyaway the point is that really you mentioned above: the author must be clear that you can use the image for commercial projects, for example. Maybe some mate can tell us a site like that. Also can be interested for the future to me and others too. ;)
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
Gaev

Post by Gaev »

Steven:
My understanding is that I can use Google images to download images from websites because the images are considered private property.
Seems like a typo in your sentence ... if it is private property, how can it be ok to download them ?
Even the commercial image sites that charge per image is not clear to me if the images are usable for software development or not.
Which comercial image site are you talking about ... and what was not clear ? ... a simple email to the site (I want to use an image purchased from your site in my "memory game for kids"; can I use it for this purpose ?) would make it clear.
Does anyone know?
I was fortunate to have (the late) Loraine Lauer and Roxanne (Roxie) help me out ... your best bet would be to directly approach "the individual artist/photographer" ... I found that they are very receptive to see their work used in software/games.
I am developing a memory matching game for children in would like to incorporate a library of images of different objects.
Check out similar games I developed (with NeoBook) many years ago ... Identico and Figori
Cipolla

Post by Cipolla »

Steven,

please take a look a wikimedia commons...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Wikimedia Commons
a database of 17,716,482 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute
You will find tons of images that you can use freely, sometimes with some permissions.

Here is an example of a red apple: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Red_Apple.jpg

If you scroll down you will find the permissions. In this example yoa are free to...
You are free:
to share – to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to remix – to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
attribution – You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
In the example you are also allowed to make commercial use of the work. (See also creative commons -> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en )

Maby this meet your requirements.
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Enigman

Post by Enigman »

A word of caution to everyone on this subject.

We should all be aware that there is a large extortion player active in the stock photo scene. Getty images, a multi-billion dollar stock image entity, has embarked on a campaign of barely legal extortion and terrorizing of small and individual developers. They have an ill behaved (it ignores robots.txt restrictions) web bot that is able to index all websites and find even small pieces of their photos. They then launch a legal barrage of exorbitant billing for fines and fees for copyright violation and photo use infringement. The bills go into the thousands of dollars. The harrassment is endless. They have also been known to submit their "license only" stock photos to free image sites like bait for the fish. Apparently, the board of directors has decided that it is much more lucrative to accuse, threaten and bill people for copyright infringement, than it is to just license photos normally. They do not provide any way to dispute the charges or explain the situation of the photo use. They simply call out the legal dogs of war with a "I don't care what you say, you owe us $14,000 in fines" attitude.

Be very careful what you use, even from supposedly reputable sources. Getty images are lurking everywhere. The only safe bet is using your own photography, or using photos and art where you can directly contact the artist and obtain written permission or purchase a license.

For more information on the Getty assaults, do a web search for "getty letter", "getty extortion" or "getty threat letters". That will lead to even more information.

Be safe out there.
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

This happened to me about a year ago. I have a blog that lists Amazon products. The letter they sent said I was in copyright violation for 3 images and owed them $2700. I went to the blog to find the images. Turns out all 3 were book covers (minus the text) that were being served by Amazon.

After contacting Amazon, they gave me a url I was told to send them to if they had a problem. I sent Getty back a letter on my letterhead stating what extortionists they were and that the images came from book covers with Amazon and to contact them. And that was the end of it. Never heard from them again.

So that gives you an idea how they operate. Truly the scum of the earth.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com