Any experiences with Advertising-Supported Software?

Questions related to the distribution, marketing and selling of applications created with NeoBook. (Formally titled: "Making Money with NeoBook")

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Boo (Gulf Breeze)

Any experiences with Advertising-Supported Software?

Post by Boo (Gulf Breeze) »

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has had any experiences with advertising-supported software? That is, have you ever offered a free version of your software that is advertisement based? If so, then please share your experiences; good and bad. Can you recommend some affiliate/advertising programs?

I know a lot of applications out there load "spyware" and the like, but I am particularly interested in the more respectable ways to offer an application and perhaps make some revenue via affiliate sales programs, for example.

Thanks,

- Boo
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Hi Boo,

It depends on what type of adware it is. Nowadays, adware has as bad a reputation as malware. I have several freeware titles that contain an ad to my site. No one seems to mind it. As long as the ads aren't fed from the web, it should be no problem. My ads are internal, and check for internet connection first should they click the link.

As for affiliates, most seem to be set up to deliver ads on the web. I have used Commission Junction in the past. But they don't seem to track as well when presented in an application. Or, it could be CJ is just ripping me off, which I have no problem believing. And Google doesn't allow Adsense in applications, and they may ban you if caught.

Freeware only seems to work for backlinking. You submit the app to the download sites, and you benefit from the exposure you receive, and the linkbacks from the download sites. Google likes linkbacks.

Most internet surfers seem to think 'free' is a finality. It's free, therefore I don't owe you ANYTHING for it, including donations or visiting a sponsor.

If you expect revenue from the ads, you may be better off turning the freeware into 'nickel software'. Take the ads out and sell it for 5 bucks. But, you would then have to provide support, which shouldn't be too bad, since Neobook is very OS friendly, and most freeware apps are not very complicated.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Boo (Gulf Breeze)

Post by Boo (Gulf Breeze) »

Thanks for the scoop, Wrangler. As always, I appreciate it. :-)

Cheers!

- Boo