Getting "Invalid Argument" pop-ups at random.

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Enigman

Getting "Invalid Argument" pop-ups at random.

Post by Enigman »

Hello,

As usual, this is another weird thing that I just have to ask about in case anyone else has seen this behavior.

I have an app that makes extensive use of an Access database with many tables. Some tables are primary data tables and others are fairly static support tables with data that rarely changes. The support tables are all maintained from one screen using grid objects with no editing done except through the grid object. That means no subroutines or buttons affect the support data. The app itself is always running as long as my laptop is running.

Recently it started doing something strange. As I do other work I either minimize the data app to the task bar or just let it sit behind whatever window I am using. Sometimes, when I return to the data app there is a small alert box on the screen that says "Invalid Argument". When I click Okay, I get another and another and another until finally it stops. If I then go to the support table maintenance screen, one particular table has a new blank row. So I delete the blank row and go on working. Later that day or even days later it will happen again. It only happens when coming back from being minimized or in the background. So far there is no way for me to figure out what is triggering the event since the alert is already on the screen when it comes back to focus.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Is there a way for me to log every executed command from a compiled app like when it is running in debug mode? At least that way I could see what command fired just before the "Invalid Argument".

Any help would be appreciated.
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: Getting "Invalid Argument" pop-ups at random.

Post by Neosoft Support »

Sorry for the late reply... I've never heard of that specific problem before. It sounds like something is trying to add a record to one of the tables, probably through the grid since you have them enabled for editing, There is no way to log actions with a compiled exe, but you could try running your app in test mode from NeoBook on the laptop and see if you can make it misbehave. Another option would be to set the grids to read-only when the app is minimized, although that shouldn't be necessary.
NeoSoft Support
Enigman

Re: Getting "Invalid Argument" pop-ups at random.

Post by Enigman »

It has been less frequent lately, but I'll try setting the grid to read only and see what happens. Thanks.