16 color palette conversion

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

cedfoo7

16 color palette conversion

Post by cedfoo7 »

I have a very small 8x8 px image with exactly 3 colors.
When I convert this image to an 8-bit palette everything works fine (the first 3 palette entries are the used colors -- the rest are black). However, when I try to convert this to a 4-bit palette, the colors change -- it seems as if the palette becomes a gray-scale gradient, and then the image colors are matched to the nearest entry, as opposed to generating the palette from the image.

Thanks!

Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Re: 16 color palette conversion

Post by Neosoft Support »

For some reason, if the image contains only shades of gray, then NeoPaint will use the standard 4-bit gray-scale palette, which isn't what you want. If the image contains even a single pixel of color, then NeoPaint will generate the correct image-based palette during the conversion.

I will add this to our list of things to correct in the next update. In the mean time, maybe a workaround would be to add a single pixel of color to the image before converting to 4-bit. You could then edit the palette and remove the color if needed. Alternatively, you could use the palette editor to create a custom 4-bit palette and select that in the conversion dialog.
NeoSoft Support
cedfoo7

Re: 16 color palette conversion

Post by cedfoo7 »

Awesomesauce. Thanks!