Moderator: Neosoft Support

Cipolla

NeoBookPDF - unknown error

Post by Cipolla »

Hello,

when i use NeoBookPDF.nbp Version v1.1d

[syntax=neobook]pdfOpen "[pdf_file]" "Rectangle"[/syntax]

I get a box saying "unknown error"

The rectangle turns white background, but no pdf is coming up.

Windows 7 Home Premium
AcrobatReader: Adobe Reader XI, version 11.0.0

On another machine all works fine:

Windows 7 professional
AcrobatReader: Adobe Reader XI, version 11.0.0

(Admin user on both machines)

Any Ideas?

Also, when i first time open a pdf, nothing happens. I need to click the rectangle and only then the PDF is showing.
When i close the PDF and reopen it, it comes up without having to click the rectangle.
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
CN_Iceman

Re: NeoBookPDF - unknown error

Post by CN_Iceman »

I have not managed to reproduce the first of the faults you mention.

The second problem is known, is an Adobe's problem. The problem appeared in version 7 and later.
A good idea to solve this, is to simulate a click. At least that's the trick I use in my applications and it works normally. There have been random cases where this trick does not work.

For example with hpwSendKeys plugin from HPWsoft you cand make a mouse click.

Code: Select all

pdfOpen "[PDF_File]" "PDF_Rectangle"
hpwClickMouse "[Pos_X]" "[Pos_Y]" "L"
Make sure the coordinates are within the rectangle to display the PDF file.

I just thought it would be good to click, wait half a second (or less) and make another click in other coordinates. Maybe fix the problem that sometimes this trick does not work.

I hope this helps.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Post by Neosoft Support »

I cannot reproduce the error here either.

The latest version of Adobe Reader is 11.0.04.63 which is slightly newer than yours. Maybe updating will solve the problem.
NeoSoft Support
CN_Iceman

Post by CN_Iceman »

I have installed Spanish v11.0.05 and the problem is still there.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
Cipolla

Post by Cipolla »

Hello Dave,

updatet to 11.0.04. Still the same error.

Not a big deal with the additional click in the rectangle. A little annoying, but ok. Well, i don´t like to simulate mouse clicks, even when checking if mouse
is over rectangle. That could lead to unforeseeable events.
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
CN_Iceman

Post by CN_Iceman »

If you know where the rectangle is, add a few pixels in X and Y should not be a problem. I use this method in my programs and it works.
Anyway, I just thought of another way to solve the problem. You can display a dummy pdf, close it and open the pdf you want to show. When you open a PDF file for the second time, it should display correctly.
This should be done only once (the first time), as the following time you need to display a PDF file, you would not need to use that trick.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Are you still getting the "unknown error" message with the updated Reader?

If so, does this only occur with one specific PDF file or all PDF files?
NeoSoft Support
FLEUR DE MAI

Post by FLEUR DE MAI »

l'ideal ne serait il pas d'avoir un plugin pdf qui ne demande pas d'avoir absolment acrobat reader su sa machine pour pouvoir fonctionner, car ou est l'interer de ce plugin si comme moi on utilise un autre logiciel de lecture de pdf (ex foxit reader), car desoler pour les fans d'adobe mais leur merde de lecteur d"une lourdeur excessive ne ce justifie pas pour lire du fichier pdf.
pour ma part la seule solution que j'ai pus trouver pour afficher un pdf dans une publication neobook est l'affichage du pdf avec la fonction web browser.
Cipolla

Post by Cipolla »

Neosoft Support wrote:Are you still getting the "unknown error" message with the updated Reader?

If so, does this only occur with one specific PDF file or all PDF files?
Dave, i still get the error with the updated Reader. And no, this occures with differnet PDF files.

I also think, the problem is not the version of acrobat reader, because on other computers it works with the same
reader version.

Maybe some system settings or what ever causes this error... only the crystal ball knows... ;-)
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Cipolla

Post by Cipolla »

CN_Iceman wrote:[...]You can display a dummy pdf, close it and open the pdf you want to show. When you open a PDF file for the second time, it should display correctly.
This should be done only once (the first time), as the following time you need to display a PDF file, you would not need to use that trick.[...]
Jose, that is a good hint. i feel better with this trick than using virtual mouse clicks ;-)

Dave, maybe it´s worth to have a closer look at the plugin. Seems i am not alone with this little blemish :roll:
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

I also think, the problem is not the version of acrobat reader, because on other computers it works with the same
reader version.
Just so I understand correctly - the "unknown error" message occurs on multiple computers or just one?
Dave, maybe it´s worth to have a closer look at the plugin. Seems i am not alone with this little blemish.
I will take a look at the plug-in, but unless I can reproduce the error here, it will be very difficult to find a solution.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

I think the problem may be that Adobe no longer includes the ActiveX control (pdf.ocx) in Acrobat Reader. If you have an older computer that has had previous versions of Acrobat Reader installed, then you likely have the pdf.ocx file and NeoBookPDF will work. If you have a newer computer, and have only installed recent versions of Acrobat Reader, then you may encounter the "unknown error" message described above.

Since NeoBookPDF relies on pdf.ocx it will not work without it. It may be possible to modify NeoBookPDF to remove the pdf.ocx requirement, but this will need to be confirmed. In the mean time, you can find a copy of pdf.ocx and distribute it with your program (assuming that Adobe will permit this) OR you can use NeoBook's WebBrowser object to display PDF files instead.
NeoSoft Support
Cipolla

Post by Cipolla »

Dave, thank you for your effort! I will test it and post the result here.

But...
Dave, maybe it´s worth to have a closer look at the plugin. Seems i am not alone with this little blemish.
This was related to:
Also, when i first time open a pdf, nothing happens. I need to click the rectangle and only then the PDF is showing.
When i close the PDF and reopen it, it comes up without having to click the rectangle.
This blemish occurs on 6 PCs we have here in my office. All Windows 7 and all newer Versions of Adobe (i think > 9.x...)
I think many others like me and i.E. CN_Iceman will have the same curiosity...
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Cipolla,

Can you let me know if the following file is present on your computer:

..\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll
NeoSoft Support
Neopasti

Post by Neopasti »

Hello to all...
I have the same Problem"Unbekannter Fehler"

..\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll exists.

Win7 and the latest Acrobat Reader.

I wish to all a happy new Year.