lhp_Security NEW FREEWARE plugin

Plug-ins and utilities of interest to NeoBook authors

Moderator: Neosoft Support

luishp

lhp_Security NEW FREEWARE plugin

Post by luishp »

Finally i've been learning some Turbo Delphi and doing some windows security research to develop my very first Plug-in for NeoBook.
And it works!!!

http://www.hdezpena.com/archivos/lhp_Security.zip

Includes sample PUB and a complete description of every command (more than 30).

Key Features:

This Plug-in is a powerfull tool to develop applications for running on public access computers (schools, libraries...)
Allows to disable and enable multiple Windows functions to prevent unwanted system manipulation.
CAUTION!, be carefull using this commands as they disable many windows important functions.
Note that some commands need to reboot windows to take affect.

Desiderata:

This plugin is free for any personal or comercial use.
If you are a comercial plugin developer and find this plugin usefull, please consider sending me one of your plugins registered version.
I will be more than pleased and motivated to keep learning and developing new freeware plugins. Thank you in advance.
beno

Post by beno »

Hi luishp,

Congratulations.

I have a project in which I need to block access to the operating system.

Your plugins actions seems to be real usefull for my project.

Question: As your program must be run AFTER the computer boots it appears that the user can stop its execution before your program performs the blocking actions.

My target customer are high school PCs, it is easy to imagine that some hich school students can be a real pain and they can avoid your program to do its job.

Have you considered a similar situation?

Saludos,

beno

-------------------

Hola luishp,

Felicidades.

Tengo un proyecto en el que necesito bloquear el acceso al sistema operativo y las acciones de tu plugin son muy atractivas y útiles.

Para hacer un programa con tu plugin, cuando la computadora inicia primero debe de cargar el sistema operativo y DESPUÉS cargar el programa y activar las acciones. Suena a que se podrá detener la ejecución del programa antes de que realice las acciones de bloqueo.

Mi usuario final son computadoras instaladas en secundarias públicas, es muy fácil de pensar que en este nivel puede (de hecho hay) estudiantes molestosos que con mucho gusto van a inetrrumpir el funcionamiento del programa.

¿Haz pensado en algo para esto?

Saludos,

beno
luishp

Post by luishp »

Hi Beno.

I think there are two possibilities to solve the problem:

1) To put the program inside Init Folder, so it will be executed as soon as the system is on.

2) All the commands in my plugin who need reboot are permanents, so it's necessary to use then once on every computer (under your supervision, or during installation) and the computer will remain protected under sucesives reboots.

-------------------------------

Hola Beno.

Creo que hay dos posibilidades para salvar la cuestión:

1) Colocar el programa en la carpeta inicio desde donde se ejecutará automáticamente al cargarse el sistema.

2) Todas los comandos en que se necesita reiniciar el ordenador para que tengan efecto son permanentes (incluido deshabilitar Ctrl-Alt-Supr), por lo que basta realizar las operaciones una vez (estando uno presente o durante la instalación del programa) y el ordenador quedará protegido incluso aunque sea encendido y apagado nuevamente.
beno

Post by beno »

luishp,

Will test it and report here.

Lo probaré y reportaré qué me encuentro.

Saludos,

beno
luishp

Post by luishp »

Version 1.1 is released:

http://www.hdezpena.com/archivos/lhp_Security.zip

Two more commands and organized.
HPW

Post by HPW »

The plugin still shows 1.0 in the plugin install dialog.
Hans-Peter
luishp

Post by luishp »

Ooooops!. Fixed. Thanks Hans
Gozo

Post by Gozo »

The ZIP is not good !
Leos

Post by Leos »

eCB wrote:The ZIP is not good !
error in zip file!!! :cry:
luishp

Post by luishp »

Sorry, my Internet connection was terrible yesterday.
I will upload the file again as soon as possible (in a few hours).
I will post here when done.
luishp

Post by luishp »

It has been uploaded again.

http://www.hdezpena.com/archivos/lhp_Security.zip`

Sorry for the inconvenience
dpayer

Re: lhp_Security NEW FREEWARE plugin

Post by dpayer »

luishp wrote:
This Plug-in is a powerfull tool to develop applications for running on public access computers (schools, libraries...)
Allows to disable and enable multiple Windows functions to prevent unwanted system manipulation.
CAUTION!, be carefull using this commands as they disable many windows important functions.
Note that some commands need to reboot windows to take affect.
Question (before I install!).

If something else changes a key windows registry after this has been installed and then you uninstall this program, does it restore registry keys the way they were before or do you get prompted for changes?

I would not want to run an app that changed registry entries but then forced things back to as they were even though another application had also done modifications.

Do you list the registry entries you change? Is a database/record kept of the original data in those entries?

I worry about making the hard drives invisible and then not getting them back properly (or being responsible for others who are in the situation).

Still, this looks good!

Edit: I did install and run the demo. I am running Win2000 Professional on my workstation and when I tried the demo, I see that the "hide all drives" function does not work. I can still see the drives in the explorer and in "My Computer" after turning that on and rebooting.

Further, there is a function you may want to include in this. Remember, you may turn off the RUN function but if you can type "file://c:\ "in the Internet Explorer, it will show all files on the drive. They can be executed from there.

David P